"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I loved boiled garlic and eat dozens daily...is this healthy?

Hello everyone.

Well, I love garlic. Unfortunately, I can't eat them raw because I stink and everyone I come in contact with wants to run away from me if I do. But I do cook a ton of my dishes with garlic. Most of the time, I will boil them so they are easily mash-able so I can put them in my dishes. However, since I love them so much, I can easily eat 10+ garlic cloves with one meal. For example, today I cooked a chicken breast with a soy sauce based soup/sauce. I boiled about 15 garlic cloves in the sauce for about an hour. I then mashed them all up and ate it with my chicken.

Is it ok to consume this much garlic? I do love the flavor, but a big part of why I try and add garlic in my cooking is also for the health benefits. Am I still receiving nutrients from the boiled garlic, or are all the health benefits gone after they are boiled? Is there a better way to cook them?

TIA for any advice and suggestions!

Old 07-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Hi Proverbs,
Welcome to DC. 10-15 cloves a day, every day does seem rather a lot but if you haven't got any health issues such as tummy upsets or overheated blood system with it then I suppose it is OK. Garlic does infuse the skin so your body could still smell of garlic even if your breath doesn't smell ( ask a mate, a good mate, perhaps to have a sniff?? ). Maybe run your query past your health server or local pharmacist for some dosage info just to be sure otherwise, on you go!.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Wine Guy

This reminds me of a drummer I used to work with who ate lots and lots of garlic. Normally, he was fine to be around. But when he would play drums and begin to sweat, the smell of garlic was almost overpowering if you were within the vicinity. It was coming out of his pores.

Strangely enough, he couldn't smell it himself.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
Master Chef

I've never boiled it before, but I do love it roasted and mashed on toasted French bread. I eat a fair amount but nowhere near 10-15 cloves a day.

Welcome to DC!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

It is indeed possible to eat too much garlic and cause problems for your health. People often think that if some of something is good for them, then more must be better, but this isn't necessarily true. Too much of some healthy substances can be poisonous.

Towards the bottom of this page there are sections for Precautions and Interactions. Take a look: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/garlic
Old 07-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Menumaker, what do you mean by an overheated blood system?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

You can't overheat your blood system unless you are dehydrated or in a high temperature environment, or of course if you are sick or have an underlying medical condition. Otherwise your body's thermostat controls your body temperature. Incidentally having an increased temperature when sick is part of your body's defenses against disease.

Eat too much garlic? Hah! Only socially I imagine. My motto is, when I'm dating somebody and out to dinner, I make sure she orders something with garlic before I order my own dinner.

Your best sources of an authoritative answer are to ask your physician, or possibly a pharmacist although the latter are often evasive in their answers not related to specific medications.

My quick answer: AFAIK no way will garlic hurt your health, might even help it.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It is indeed possible to eat too much garlic and cause problems for your health. People often think that if some of something is good for them, then more must be better, but this isn't necessarily true. Too much of some healthy substances can be poisonous.

Towards the bottom of this page there are sections for Precautions and Interactions. Take a look: Garlic | University of Maryland Medical Center
So true GG. Just like drinking too much water in a short time can cause a person to drown.

They know that garlic is beneficial for the heart. There is a product that you can purchase OTC called Garlique. But it can be deadly for diabetics. It can cause a sudden drop in your sugar. There is even a warning that can't be missed right on the package.

Too much of most animal livers can cause an overdose of Vitamin A. Even predatory animals do not eat the liver of their kill.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Forty clove chicken!
Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Forty clove chicken!
That generally serves four people.

Tags
garlic, health, healthy, oil