I made a mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizStreithorst

Senior Cook
I meant to order 25 lbs of whole grain corn from Great River Organic Mill. I accidentally ordered 50 lbs.

I've searched and searched. The only recipe I can find except for masa is Posole. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I just need to feed it to the squirrels?

Is it dried? If so ,freeze it if you have room. I freeze the stone ground grits I order, as well as flours I don't use often.

Yeah, I have a very small deep freeze. I use it mostly for freezing the fish food I buy in bulk. It'll fit. I may feed the squirrels some, too.

Yes, it's dried. I can grind it in the food processor. Will I have to nixalize it first for that? I'm not fond of grits and cornbread and muffins but if it's made from good quality feed corn I might change my mind about those things. Thanks for the ideas.

I'm not positive, but I don't think so.

I've found I like cornbread and muffins better when I add tasty ingredients like fresh corn, roasted red peppers, bacon, cheese and/or jalapeños. It's like pasta or beans to me - bland on its own, but toppings make all the difference.

Last edited:
25 pounds versus 50? Doesn't seem like a big difference to me. I understand if it was 59 pounds versus 5.. But what were you going to do with 25 pounds anyways?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

25 lbs was the least amount I could find. I was going to make tortillas and tamales and keep the rest in the freezer. I doubt that my freezer has room for 2 25 lb bags it might.

I looked up recipes for hominy and found a bunch of stuff, but being just one person, and only a once a day eater I still feel somewhat overwhelmed by 50 lbs of the stuff.

Depending on how energetic you are, you could make fresh tortillas and freeze them for birthday and holiday gifts, with a selection of recipes.

I know of only one person who might appreciate them. He was a kid when he worked for me. Now he's a grown man and he's a cop now. He's Mexican. He has family living right up the road. If I make the tortillas right I'll give him a call.

25 lbs was the least amount I could find. I was going to make tortillas and tamales and keep the rest in the freezer. I doubt that my freezer has room for 2 25 lb bags it might.

I looked up recipes for hominy and found a bunch of stuff, but being just one person, and only a once a day eater I still feel somewhat overwhelmed by 50 lbs of the stuff.

Tamales freeze very well. You could make them with several different fillings and freeze them in small batches.

I meant to order 25 lbs of whole grain corn from Great River Organic Mill. I accidentally ordered 50 lbs.

I've searched and searched. The only recipe I can find except for masa is Posole. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I just need to feed it to the squirrels?

Don't feed it to the squirrels... send it to me and I'll feed it to my ducks and pheasants. They'll love you forever... :yum:

We have a fairly sizable Mexican community here. One of my Mexican customers will be dropping off her dog for grooming tomorrow. I'll ask her if she knows anyone who might make use of it. If so, perhaps I can score a cooking lesson or two.

Another possibility is a guy who used to work for me when he was a kid. He's a grown man now. He's a cop for the county. He was born in Mexico and has a lot of family and close friends living in the area who might want it.

HA! I found a home for it! I called the guy who used to work for me. He knows all sorts of folks who make tortillas the old fashioned way. At first he didn't know that I had 25 lbs of expensive feed corn to give away. He thought that I was looking to buy it. He told me about a tienda where I could buy it in smaller quantities for cheap. Who knew?

He'll stop by and visit tomorrow and pick up my overly expensive bag of organic feed corn and give it to a good home. While he's here I'll ask him if he knows anyone who would be willing to give me hands on lessons. I'd be more than happy to pay. I learn easily if I have a kind mentor. Written instructions are hard for me when I'm starting with no knowledge.

Yes, it's dried. I can grind it in the food processor. Will I have to nixalize it first for that? I'm not fond of grits and cornbread and muffins but if it's made from good quality feed corn I might change my mind about those things. Thanks for the ideas.

I'm late to this thread. I got a hair sideways on this topic about 10 years ago. I don't think any food processor can grind or mill dried corn. If you're going to make masa you will want to nixtamalize the corn first. Nixtamalize means to treat with an alkali, usually calcium hydroxide sold as lime or cal. That turns the corn kernels into pozole or hominy. Then I guess you could process it the food processor but that isn't the same as grinding it. Once it's been processed through a grain mill they call it masa.
I bought a Victoria grain mill for the purpose. You can't use the same kind of mill you would grind wheat with. I had a good Nutrimill grain mill but corn, except popcorn, has too much oil to use in those kind of mills.
I sympathize with your search for corn. I ended up buying it online in 10 lb bags. If you decide to buy feed corn be aware that it usually comes complete with eggs - bug eggs. You'll kill the eggs making your masa but if you're going to store the corn from a feed store you can kill the eggs by putting your corn in a freezer for a few days. If you go that route you're likely buying 50# bags so you need some space.
The Mexican markets I go to all have white, yellow and sometimes blue corn available though and that is definitely how I'd buy it if I were to go down the road again. It's sold in bulk like you might have seen pinto beans. Scoop out an ounce or 20 lbs. and take it to the cash register. It's much better corn for masa than the field corn or dent corn sold for feed, organic or not. Actually bought a couple pounds and some cal a couple years ago but it's really a lot of trouble and haven't brought myself quite to the point of hoeing that row again. There were some threads in this forum around that time.
When I posted in those I hadn't made masa yet and can't find anywhere I described those adventures. There were some more threads on the subject if you want to search for them.
There's lots more to be said on the topics of corn selection, nixtamalization and grinding but it is a pretty niche subject that few people are interested in so I won't say anymore unless you ask. If you do ask I'll happily share my experiences.
I've moved a couple times and had a stint of hard travelin' since then. Don't have the Victoria mill anymore; they're not too expensive though so might be tempted to take it up again. For now though, I'm ok with masa harina. It's not a good as fresh homemade masa but it's one heck of a lot easier.

P.S. Not many Mexican households make their own masa. Your best bet might be to ask your friend where his abuelita shops.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good info. Since it's so much work I'm going to try the food processor first and see how it goes. There are more reviews to the Alton Brown recipe now. Most folks agree that his method works well. I won't know until I try but since I am familiar with the flavor and texture of the real thing I will find out.

I had no idea that I should have been grateful for being able to walk to the tortillaria every afternoon and just pick up a half pound of them for a few cents.

I found a home for my extra sack of corn. I called the guy who worked for me when he was a kid. His sister makes tortillas from scratch.

We had a nice chat while he was here. In all these years since I have seen him he has been a cop in Jackson MS (very dangerous). He was promoted to detective. He served in Iraq and Afghanistan. He had his own very successful security business. I am so proud of him.

This kid was illegal when he worked for me. The rest of his family was legal but he came across as a babe in arms. He gained his citizenship while he was with me and has done very well since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom