I make too much food for 1 person

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Help? Although I follow the recipe and ask my mom to help me cut back the recipe for one person, I still manage to make enough to feed at least 15 people.

I'm not sure how I am doing this.

What can I do to get it down to 1 person?

Nothing works when making soup or chili. I *always* make enough for an army when all is done. Guess I'm just built that way Lol.

But at least I have room in the freezer for just one more bag.

Bob

I do the same thing even though I know how to cut it down. When I was 18 I worked on a dude ranch where all the meals were cooked and served family style. That's where I learned the "cooking for an army" mentality and I haven't been able to shake it since. I think it's partly the pleasure of stirring, chopping, sauteing, that leads me to make such big batches. So I just put the extra in freezer bags for later use or better yet, give it away.

Get your other single friends together, get some cheap containers or have them bring their own, make enough for an army, everyone eats their fill and takes a container home for another meal. Good food + good friends = good time!

I find that if I place what I want to prepare out on the countertop I can see at a glance if I have too much and reduce the quantities before starting.

I am still in training for cooking for myself after having a large family to cook for, but this process seems to be working or at the very least I end up with an extra meal to freeze. But I no longer have way too much food left over.

I am approaching 60 and have never lived in a big family - but I have always cooked for an army.....

Finally I've learned to make Potato salad for the two of us - yes we eat it for a few days but don't have to live on it for a month!

See there is hope!

I limit myself to 4 medium potatoes and 6 eggs - everything else falls into place!

The idea of gathering others to share is a great one!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom