I Miss My Scale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, there is a metric/English system button. You can switch back and forth. Digital scales aso have a tare or zero button. IT let's you put a bowl on the scale then zero out its weight so you can add and measure ingredients.

Yep.... love my Salter digital. Does all of that. When adding several dry ingredients to mix, you can zero it after each addition, saving a lot of time.

Thanks, BT. That's a very informative link. SO's car remote takes three each while my scale takes two. Now I understand what the difference is - my scale battery won't fit in her remote.

in a pinch, i've soldered/wired a few batteries together that wouldn't fit the casing to make the required joltage to make something run.

it's usually the voltage (1.5 volts per cell) that determines how many is required.

unless you need to start a fire, lol.

I'd be lost without mine too. I also use it to weigh pasta before cooking. If I just eyeball it, I'll cook too much, and in turn eat too much. I would always take out what looked right, then second guess myself and add more, :LOL:

It's so much easier to have recipes in grams, I can do that math in my head with less mistakes, I'm not great at math...

I am an oldtimer... they call me Senior Citizen.. All of you cooks out there.. You must have a computer in your house, prob in your kitchen to store all those fine recipes. Hint: Google your question. How many grams in an ounce? or something similar. Be surprised what you will get.

BTW... I printed the table of cross-measurements and posted it in my kitchen cabinet. DUH!!!!

Use measuring spoons to measure... they have equivalency tables for most common things. My 2 cents...

I am an oldtimer... they call me Senior Citizen.. All of you cooks out there.. You must have a computer in your house, prob in your kitchen to store all those fine recipes. Hint: Google your question. How many grams in an ounce? or something similar. Be surprised what you will get.

BTW... I printed the table of cross-measurements and posted it in my kitchen cabinet. DUH!!!!

Use measuring spoons to measure... they have equivalency tables for most common things. My 2 cents...
Living in Canada, our measuring spoons and cups have metric and Imperial measures. However, for accuracy re: bread, etc., I like a scale and I like to measure the ingredients in metric equivalents.

Living in Canada, our measuring spoons and cups have metric and Imperial measures. However, for accuracy re: bread, etc., I like a scale and I like to measure the ingredients in metric equivalents.

Living in the US most of our measuring cups have metric and Imperial measures.

The down side is the Imperial measure is on the wrong side.

I use a scale for anything I have a weight conversion factor for, especially if I think it matters (flour is a great example)

Seeing this thread pop up again reminded me I never reported back on my purchase.

I ordered the OXO 11 pound capacity scale. Food Scale with Pull-Out Display

My initial impression is that it's just what I need. It takes AAA batteries so replacements should be cheaper. The pull-out display feature is nice, as is the lighted display. Nice big, easy to read numbers. The display also shows how close you are to its 11 pound capacity for those times when you are using the 'zero' button a lot.

Seeing this thread pop up again reminded me I never reported back on my purchase.

My initial impression is that it's just what I need. It takes AAA batteries so replacements should be cheaper. The pull-out display feature is nice, as is the lighted display. Nice big, easy to read numbers. The display also shows how close you are to its 11 pound capacity for those times when you are using the 'zero' button a lot.

I love my tare function. If I add in the food code of the item I am weighing, it will also give me a nutrition breakdown...

Living in the US most of our measuring cups have metric and Imperial measures.

The down side is the Imperial measure is on the wrong side.

I use a scale for anything I have a weight conversion factor for, especially if I think it matters (flour is a great example)
You must be buying the ones for lefties! Being a lefty, I don't have that problem!:LOL:

Professional chefs will always tell you to weigh your ingredients. It is a more accurate means of obtaining a more pleasurable and pleasing product in the end. :angel:

Since I started baking by weight a few years ago, there is no more, "it came out better last time". It also feeds my ocd-like personality.

I bought the 5-pound model and I really like it.

Since I started baking by weight a few years ago, there is no more, "it came out better last time". It also feeds my ocd-like personality.

I think a scale is as necessary as your cake pans and muffing tins. I can't imagine not having one in the kitchen. I even weigh packages on mine. Saves a trip to the post office. Can leave it for the mailman to pick up. Postage applied. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom