I Miss My Scale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
The batteries died in my digital kitchen scale over the weekend. I never realized how much I use the scale until now.

I was going to make a new recipe yesterday until I realized all the ingredients were listed in grams. I have no chance of estimating all of them accurately so the recipe goes on the shelf for a bit.

I cook up half a box of pasta for the two of us (13.25 ounces) can't divide the box in half without a scale. (I know, a 50/50 estimate isn't all that hard and I managed, but I am AR and have to be accurate.)

I'll have to stop somewhere and buy some batteries (those little coin-sized ones) pretty soon.

Half of 13.25 is 6-5/8 ;)
Now, how many grams is that? Beats me. I haven't dealt with grams in... well, let's just say it's been a while :whistling

lol, pac.

28.35 grams per oz., i think? sounds right.

geez, now i'm forgetting.

andy, i have a dusty old ohaus triple beam that you can have. no batteries required. :cool:

Last edited:
I have to say, I love mydigital scale, especially because it has both metric and standard. The best part i picked up at the sample sale for 10 bucks, simular scale are at least 3 times as much in the store.

It's much easier in grams. Half the box is approx. 188 grams.

Dividing it up after it's cooked is easier. I just put some on SO's plate until she says, "That's enough.", then I take the rest.

Last edited:
My digital scale is from Fisher-Scientific. When I used to dye a lot of fiber, I used it to weigh the dye powder. I sent my mom to buy it in the MPLS area (I think it was Chaska or Minnetonka) "get one that sensitive enough to weigh drugs" was what I told her. I have several others (no batteries required)--including one of those fruit scales (hanging) you used to see in markets, one of those "justice" scales, and another one, as well as a baby scale. I also have a grain scale, but that's not in the house <g>. The digital scale only goes up to 1/2 lb so I have to weigh things that weigh more than that with one of the other scales. I don't have a scale to weigh myself, however, I don't believe in those.

I've had a Salter digital scale for years and wouldn't be without it. And you're right, Andy, you don't realize how much you use it until it's down. I buy my batteries at Dollar Tree and keep several spares in amzipper-lock plastic bag in the freezer.

I've had a Salter digital scale for years and wouldn't be without it. And you're right, Andy, you don't realize how much you use it until it's down. I buy my batteries at Dollar Tree and keep several spares in a zipper-lock plastic bag in the freezer.

Spike buys batteries for the smoke alarms in the different buildings he takes care of. So he buys them by the case load. I haven't bought a battery in years. I just give him my little 20 battery holder and he fills it up for me with AA and Triple A's. All my little gizmo's for the computer uses batteries up like the were water in a sieve. :angel:

I bought button batteries (LR-44) on Amazon for peanuts.

1 pound is 453.6g and 1 oz is around that 28g mentioned.

My scale uses triple a I think, and I changed them once.

Don't most digital scales have a button to change units between grams, kilos, ounces, pounds?

Yes, there is a metric/English system button. You can switch back and forth. Digital scales aso have a tare or zero button. IT let's you put a bowl on the scale then zero out its weight so you can add and measure ingredients.

Yes, there is a metric/English system button. You can switch back and forth. Digital scales aso have a tare or zero button. IT let's you put a bowl on the scale then zero out its weight so you can add and measure ingredients.
Yup, mine's got that tare button. I love it.

Do you have a Batteries Plus near you? Just take the scale into the store with you. They will find the right ones and put them in for you.

Thanks but the nearest one is a bit away. I have removed the old batteries and know what to buy. I just have to get to the store. The plan is to do that tomorrow. I also have to buy different batteries for SO's car remote.

Back
Top Bottom