I need a truly outstanding tofu recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMetalChef

Senior Cook
We've got a rather bizarre conceptual episode coming up in the next few months, and I've been poking about online trying to locate a really good tofu recipe that doesn't come off like cheeky Americanized Chinese food.

Ideally, I need it to be something involved enough to where I can make 13-15 minutes out of the preparation, but not so precise as to be daunting to the amateur cook.

Anyone have ideas?

vyapti - they all look killer - especially the Indian Fried Tofu, but what is "Earth Balance"?

My favorite tofu recipe is "Tofu Soup" especially Korean style~~ Once, my Korean friend taucht me to cook. It's easy, but you have to have Korean hot sauce or powder!

vyapti - they all look killer - especially the Indian Fried Tofu, but what is "Earth Balance"?
Earth Balance is just a brand of margarine. I use it because it is devoid of any animal products, but any margarine or butter will do just fine.

here is a truely outstanding tofu recipe..
Tofu Pot Pie - 269037 - Recipezaar

tofu pot pie...

but may not meet your other requirements...is labor intensive and rich..you need to be able to make a decent pie crust..

Looks excellent, and I may have to try that sometime just for my own evil purposes.

For the show, I think I'm pretty much set on vyapti's Indian fried tofu - it's a good involved dish, and has bonus ethnic roots (which, if you've ever watched the show, we LOVE some ethnic humor... :LOL:)

I just had lunch at my local Thai restaurant a few minutes ago, and I had Pahd Chashew & Vegetables, which includes a choice of Chicken, Beef, Pork or Tofu. I had the Tofu just for something different, and it was OUTSTANDING! It appeared to be lightly grilled, making it firm on the outside but still tender on the inside, and was mixed in with the grilled vegetables and sauce. Without knowing exactly how they cooked it, I would say that it served very well as a meat substitute in taste and even a little in external texture.

That sounds like deep fried tofu, which turns yellowish in color with a chewy outside and spongy inside. It is truly a delicious thing.

That sounds like deep fried tofu, which turns yellowish in color with a chewy outside and spongy inside. It is truly a delicious thing.

The soy based sauce that it came in masked any obvious yellow color, but if that's deep fried tofu... I may have found a replacement for chicken in many dishes! I get so tired of chicken...

Thanks, Vyapti.

Pan fry the tofu and saute them with onion garlic,ginger and peppers. simple healthy and tasty.

Pan fry the tofu and saute them with onion garlic,ginger and peppers. simple healthy and tasty.

Probably a good way for a beginner to get their feet wet in tofu, but not quite what I was after for the show. Thanks, though.

Hi,

If you want a very cool tofu recipe, consider a silken tofu dessert. You can easily find recipes for these online. They are often unique, and if you choose to make a cake or pie rather than smoothie, are involved enough to take 15 minutes.

a good tip ,

before you utilize the tofu, make a vegetable stock with lots of herbs and vegetables, then poach the tofu slowly for about 10 minutes, then let it cool down in the stock.

It gives leads more flavor to the tofu..

for a vegetable stock, just use any vegetable you like, add the herbs AFTER you turn off the heat, so they don't get bitter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom