I need help finding acetate!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COOKINGONGAS

Assistant Cook
does anyone know where i can buy asie tape from?(if thats the right way to spell it)...please can any one help its the stuff you use to decorate dessert with chocolate!! many thanx cookinongas

It's actually acetate and I don't think it's a tape. I think what you want can be bought at an office supply store. You cut out the shape you want - spread your chocolate over it and remove it, allowing the chocolate to harden. You can also make very thin cookies this way.

Try an office supply store.

I'm not sure what you mean by "food" acetate. Is it used how I described? If so, you can either buy the stuff at someplace like Michael's, or A.C. Moore, or Office Depot - it's all the same stuff. You don't want to eat the acetate, right?

Acetate is a type of plastic - used in cooking it is generally a thin plastic sheet that is flexible basically nonstick - I don't know that there is a specific "food grade" acetate (although as soon as I say that someone will find a source for one).

No - you don't eat it. It's a "tool", not an ingredient. It's kind of like when you make a loaf of bread you don't eat the pan ... same thing with acetate.

For working with chocolate - you can either use it flat or roll it into a tube to make various sized forms. You can also use it in proofing bread - to increase the height of a round loaf - you just make a collar and put the dough into it to proof.

You can find this at most stores that sell supplies for candy making, maybe pastries, or an art supply store.

ART SUPPLY STORE - that's what I had in my mind when I kept saying office supply store - but they might have it too.

No - you don't eat it. It's a "tool", not an ingredient. It's kind of like when you make a loaf of bread you don't eat the pan ... same thing with acetate.

LOL..that hits the nail right on the head!!

kitchenelf said:
ART SUPPLY STORE - that's what I had in my mind when I kept saying office supply store - but they might have it too.

Yep - office supply stores did sell rolls of it about 1-ft wide by several feet long for use on overhead projectors. I had forgotten all about that.

Back
Top Bottom