"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

thank you everyone! I've read all the posts and find them all very helpful. I've bought the Alton Brown book and it's actually a pretty entertaining read the way it's written. I'm going to see about the local cooking lessons I've never heard about that... I've seen good eats on every now and then but I'll pay more attention to it this time around.

@ poppi: I hope you were kidding! lol If you'll notice there's nothing in there to cook with except the chicken on the bottom which may or may not be good... the milk is definitely expired (which is still in there as I'm typing) and I have two bottles of syrup for some reason.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
Head Chef

A few simple tips for you.
Pasta: The water should taste like the seaand you probably need twice as much water as you think you need.
Tomatoes: Serrated knife til the day comes when you want and can afford a knife that will hold an edge. (I hope to get one for Christmas this year.)
Eggs: gentle heat whether it is on top of the stove or in the oven.
Baking powder: less than 6 months old is best
Oil: I would start with a neutral oil like canola and when you learn more about cooking work up to other oils that burn more easily.

Don't worry about a few flops...heck I couldn't figure out why I could never make jello until someone told me what I was doing wrong...many years ago. And I was already and experienced cook then. You learn as much through your failures as through you successes.

When you use a recipe follow the directions to the letter the first time you make it. Then as time goes on and you begin to become more familiar with different foods and how they work you will be able to make small changes and put your own spin on things.

I almost envy you your situation. I would love to start this adventure all over again- learning to cook- especially now that the internet makes information so easy to get. You can find many videos on-line that will tell you how to make a dish or how to use a piece of equipment. Just yesterday I looked up how to make Vietnamese spring rolls and learned several new things. That's one of the great things about cooking... you will always be learning. It keeps things fresh! Best wishes.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I really like the videos you can find on YouTube. I'm learning Danish cooking and I don't know anyone here who can teach me. I found a video that shows how to cut a piece of meat to make a roulade. I've watched it many times and keep practising. I learned how to tie up that roulade and I can do a beautiful job of it in a jiffy now. While watching a video of Alton Brown's Good Eats, I snickered to my DH that when I tie up a roulade, it looks better than that! And I learned it by watching it on my computer.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I really like the videos you can find on YouTube. I'm learning Danish cooking and I don't know anyone here who can teach me. I found a video that shows how to cut a piece of meat to make a roulade. I've watched it many times and keep practising. I learned how to tie up that roulade and I can do a beautiful job of it in a jiffy now. While watching a video of Alton Brown's Good Eats, I snickered to my DH that when I tie up a roulade, it looks better than that! And I learned it by watching it on my computer.
I look for vids on youtube if I want something specific but the amount of cooking videos is extremely overwhelming. I'm looking to start from point a (which would be the basics) and work my way up.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post

Don't worry about a few flops...heck I couldn't figure out why I could never make jello until someone told me what I was doing wrong...many years ago
Ok, I gotta know. How can you make Jello wrong???
Old 10-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujin View Post
I look for vids on youtube if I want something specific but the amount of cooking videos is extremely overwhelming. I'm looking to start from point a (which would be the basics) and work my way up.
Yup, specific is very useful. But, if you browse a bit and look at something that strikes your fancy every once in a while, that can be good learning too, even if you don't try the recipe.

As to basics, here is a good, very short video on using a knife safely.

I would just add that you should tuck your thumb in, behind your index finger.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post

Ok, I gotta know. How can you make Jello wrong???
If you don't disolve it thoroughly you end up with a thick nasty rubbery layer in the bottom of the bowl. I did this for years and it never occurred to me that I needed to disolve it longer until someone told me what I was doing wrong...Okay so I'm dense but in my own defense I was learning to cook with no help. I even refused to bring jello dishes to church pot lucks because I knew how bad mine always was!!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
If you don't disolve it thoroughly you end up with a thick nasty rubbery layer in the bottom of the bowl. I did this for years and it never occurred to me that I needed to disolve it longer until someone told me what I was doing wrong...Okay so I'm dense but in my own defense I was learning to cook with no help. I even refused to bring jello dishes to church pot lucks because I knew how bad mine always was!!!!
So that's why my jello turns out rubbery!! See, you weren't the only one. I really don't like the stuff anyway so it doesn't matter I guess.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I make Jello in huge batches...Shrek loves the stuff.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #20
Head Chef

My son loves lime jello but gets absolutely irate if you adulterate it with anything else. What kind of a person really likes lime jello. I warn you, he is designing the aircraft you will be flying in.