I need your best recipes featuring avocado!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capnkid

Assistant Cook
There's a cooking competition at my workplace with avocado as a 'secret ingredient' of sorts. The first prize is a hefty gift card for Sprouts, and I could definitely use groceries as a poor college student! Any and all of your suggestions and ideas would be most helpful :)

I was originally thinking of doing something like a southwest avocado salad, with some diced avocado, tomato, beans and cilantro, with a dressing of olive oil, cumin, lime juice, and maybe a little vinegar. It seemed a bit simple and predictable to me however.

I like fried avocado and onions on top of a salad with bacon-cilantro dressing. Sliced hard boiled eggs, grape tomatoes and ham.

I would just incorporate it into a nice bruschetta, how about this..

start by buying or making a nice bread, maybe a french loaf, sourdough, italian, your pick, something crusty with a soft center is what I prefer...

cube your avocado, toss it with oil and coat a pan, char the outside of them, should only take about a minute..

in a bowl combine your avocado, a diced mango, 1 TBL cilantro {fresh and cut}, 1 finely chopped garlic clove, 1/2 of a red bell pepper diced, 1/4 cup diced red onion, a pinch of orange zest, 2 TBL lime juice, and 2 TBL olive oil.

Cut your bread into serving sizes or in half if you are going to make a large bruschetta and cut it there...
Brush it with olive oil and toast in a preheated 400 degree oven...

After its toasted on all sides to your liking, mound on the mango avocado salsa.

Then salt and pepper to taste, you can also do a bit of a balsamic drizzle {but before serving not too far in advance you dont want it soggy}. I just mix a bit of sugar/honey and olive oil with some balsamic vinegar...

The sky is the limit with something like this, you can cook up some sweet bacon {maple, apple, ect}, extra extra crispy, and sprinkle that over the top of the finished product, some chopped pecans, ect ect ect

I have made this before, actually about 2 weeks before xmas we had some friends over and I made 3 different bruschettas, this was everyones favorite, my favorite was one I make using cherry tomatoes, bacon, fresh mozzarella, banana peppers, fresh basil, and the balsamic glaze. But that one wont fit your challenge..

GOOD LUCK..

One more note, if you are going to make your own bread and split it down the center I egg wash just the sides and put cornmeal on the pan and sprinkle a bit on top. I mix some spinach and garlic into the batch, then I roll them into long flat loaves, and don't use the lame on them, I mix it lazy with a bit less yeast and sugar... Then I flip the loaf as soon as its firm enough in the oven. This way you get 2 identical-ish halves, when you split a normal loaf you get a top and bottom, the way I do it I get 2 bottoms...

Last edited:
I do a shrimp sous vide in a vanilla and smoked paprika butter sauce with avocado over rice. It's wonderful!

I'm sure you could adapt something like that to a traditional cooking method.

I was originally thinking of doing something like a southwest avocado salad, with some diced avocado, tomato, beans and cilantro, with a dressing of olive oil, cumin, lime juice, and maybe a little vinegar. It seemed a bit simple and predictable to me however.

Oh, but southwest avocado/bean salad is SOOO good! :yum::LOL: Not really in the 'cooking' category, but here's a salad I have made at least a dozen times over the past couple of years, and it's always a hit. I've tweaked it a bit and saved my changes. :)

Black Bean, Corn and Avocado Salad

1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil (that's way too much...1/4 c is plenty)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (I leave this out and sub 1/2 tsp cumin instead)

2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced (or two!)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
6 green onions, thinly sliced (I use chopped red onion)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional) (that might be too much for some, I love cilantro)

Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cumin in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.

In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.

Better if it sits for a bit before serving. Mix everything but avocados, add them last and gently stir in so they don't get all broken up. They'll stay nice and green with the lime juice dressing. So yummy.

And welcome to DC, capnkid! Good luck on your competition, and stick around!

Black Bean and Corn Salad II Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Attachments

• 581967_4273488406203_1584953902_n.jpg
    581967_4273488406203_1584953902_n.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
This one is a little unusual, but if you like Avocados, you'll like this. It's great on a hot summer day.

Avocado-Lime Ice Cream

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
  • 3 ripe avocados, pitted and flesh roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 whole milk
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 pinch salt
Preparation:
  1. Mix lime juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a small sauce pan. Heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate until well chilled.
  2. Add lime juice mixture and remaining ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth.
  3. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn for 25 minutes or according to manufacturer's instructions.
  4. Transfer mixture (it will still be somewhat soft at this point) to a container and freeze for 4-6 hours or until mixture completely sets.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all the feed back so far everyone! The real challenge now is deciding on one!

You've had some good advice here for winning ideas Cap, but if you live "out west" as in your profile, you will know to stick with a savory recipe like Cheryl's and others.

In my life long opinion being here in "avocado land" and seeing countless contests, desserts made with avocado are never prize winners. They're interesting but just weird.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dawg and Kay....I've given this recipe out to whoever will listen to me over the past couple of years and glad to share again. :LOL: It's good with tortilla chips, wrapped in flour tortillas and cut into pinwheels, and just as is. And it holds up well for get togethers and potlucks, etc. Going to have to get the ingredients to make it again, now that the OP has reminded me. :yum:

Last edited:
Thanks, Dawg and Kay....I've given this recipe out to whoever will listen to me over the past couple of years and glad to share again. :LOL: It's good with tortilla chips, wrapped in flour tortillas and cut into pinwheels, and just as is. And it holds up well for get togethers and potlucks, etc. Going to have to get the ingredients to make it again, now that the OP has reminded me. :yum:

I think I'm gonna go with yours! And try the others after for myself.. you can't go wrong with southwest salad! Might add some jicama for crunch!

I love avocado in my fish tacos. They're real quick and easy to make. Here's my favorite combo:

warmed tortilla - flour or corn - your choice
grilled fish - whatever you like or have on hand
shredded cabbage
avocado chunks
chipotle mayo
chopped fresh cilantro
good squeeze of fresh lime

One of our favorite restaurants in Mexico makes an avocado pie that's wonderful. Don't know what's in it, but it has a smooth, creamy texture similar to key lime pie. It's a big seller.

And I would dig into that ice cream, Steve! And I love fish tacos with avo too.

Last edited:
Ew! I couldn't imagine an avocado dessert being very nice at all.

I must say, MC, don't knock it till you try it! That was my first reaction before trying the avocado pie. Now I'm a convert, it's luscious. And it sells out every day!

Last edited:
I must say, MC, don't knock it till you try it! That was my first reaction before trying the avocado pie. Now I'm a convert, it's luscious.
Really? I must look up a recipe and see.

EDIT: Is it the recipe with condensed milk and cream that the poster says is often mistaken for key lime pie?

Last edited:
I'd try the avocado pie for sure, and the avocado ice cream. It's not like it's pure avocado in either one, there are sweeteners added.

Garlic ice cream is pretty popular up in Gilroy. That sounds unusual too, but people like it or they wouldn't keep making it at the festivals. :)

Dawg, I looked up avocado pie on allrecipes. This sounds pretty good to me. :yum:

Avocado Lime Cheesecake Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Back
Top Bottom