"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-16-2007, 05:51 AM   #11
Head Chef

Mudkips, I wish I had a local one. The closest actual butcher shop is some hour plus (depending upon traffic) away.

So like many we have to rely upon the supermarket folks.

Have found them very receptive though.

These guys are taught how to do all the great things folks can do with meat and then are put into a place where they, at most, get primal cuts and put them in packages with cling wrap about them.

Have found most very receptive and great to work with.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

We have this for Christmas every year, a family tradition.

Finnguide: Finnish Liver Casserole Recipe : Maksalaatikko : Finnish foods, Finnish baking, Finnish cooking : Finnish recipes

Works best with Calves Liver. Topped with melted butter.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:44 AM   #13
Senior Cook

calves liver is wondrful but done wrong terrible. timing is the key over done it is rubberery and tough. Underdone LOL it isn't cooked. Remember it is organ meat not muscle so it cooks different than say... a t-bone. There are a number of recipes at All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips. Try cooking it several times for each way you can make it to get it just at its peak. I like barding with bacon and served with carmelized onions sometimes mushrooms too.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hey guys

Wanted to tell you I had liver last night for dinner and it was not bad at all, it was actually pretty good!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
Head Chef

Of course I'm a day or so late but I love chicken livers, dusted with flour. First I saute onions and mushrooms in butter; deglaze with a little sherry then add the livers and brown on all sides; Then I flame it with rum or brandy and serve them with mashed potatoes.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #16
Executive Chef

love your post auntdot!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Whatever the kind of liver, the main secret is NOT to overcook it. When overcooked, it takes on the texture of an old shoe sole.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Haven't made liver at home for years, but, I used to bread it.....dust with flour, dip in egg, then into breadcrumbs, or panko, or matza meal. Fry up quickly in a bit of canola oil...it's deelish!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My mom just lightly floured it... then into the bacon fat! YUM!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #20
Master Chef

I love liver most ways it's cooked. But my absolute favorite is to boil hcicken or turkey livers along with the necks and gizzards. Then, I take the livers out and process them with some rendered chicken fat, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper, throw in some rubbed sage, and form into a pate'. Of course, I've also done this starting with raw livers and cooked everything together. it's really easy to make and tastes great. The thing about starting with the cooked livers is that you can adjust the seasoning until you get it right. Then, if you've taken careful measurements, you can add the same seasonings to the uncooked livers, process, and can or use as your own, home-made liverwurst.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote