"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I want to retry liver, need suggestions

Hello all!

I remember trying some liver about 10 years ago when my Grandfather made it and not liking it at all. I'm 21 now and I'm more open to new types of food (especially in the last year). So I made the decision to buy liver tomorrow, but I am wondering which do you think would be the best to start with.

beef, duck, chicken or turkey?

Old 09-15-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Head Chef

Pate is the only form of liver I can tolerate. If I were to try liver I think it would be chicken livers and hide them under lots of bacon. Good luck with expanding your culinary tastes.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Head Chef

If you can wait til Monday for the recipe, I'll ask my best friend's mother. She is from Germany and my friend swoons over her liver and onions (yes, I once lugged them in a ziploc bag to her in Dallas, many years ago). I personnally can't stand liver, but I know my friend and her mother love it.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Executive Chef

sautee bacon and onions together until nicely cooked and softened, add chicken livers, sprinkle with salt, pepper, parsley, sautee until medium (maybe a little pink inside, nicely browned outside) add splash of dry sherry and reduce, serve over buttered herbed rice

If you like the above, try much the same with fresh calves liver, lightly dusted with flour.

A marinera sauce is delicious with liver...the acids in the tomatoes cut some of the strong liver flavor. serve over rice.

Real cajun dirty rice has chicken livers chopped up in it with onion bell pepper and garlic. (and hot chili flakes)
Old 09-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
You may want to start with chicken livers or calfs liver, ( little milder), Dh detest liver, so I really miss it. It does have its own flavor you either like or not. Good luck - now I am hungry for it !
Old 09-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Cook

Chopped liver and rumaki are the only 2 ways I'll eat it.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Head Chef

Go to your butcher, yeah, the guy in the supermarket, and tell him you want fresh calves liver, at least 3/4 of an inch thick.

The meat should be pink, not red.

Do not settle, please. for the frozen dark red 1/4 inch thick stuff most stores pawn off.

I love liver and will not eat that.

I believe I can make anyone like liver, if given the right product. Several years ago my sil came to visit and we went to a favorite restaurant. I suggested the liver - it was a delight. It was almost white, kinda looked like sweetbreads, in a honey sauce.

She said she hated liver. I told her I would order whatever she liked, and if she did not like the liver we would switch. Needless to say I went liverless that night.

Another convert.

She now craves the stuff.

Liver should be looked upon as any other piece of meat.

It is difficult to make a 1/2 inch thick round steak a delicacy. Similarly, one cannot take liver from a aged steer, cut it thin, and make it palatable.

The old computer maxim, garbage in - garbage out applies to food, and particularly liver.

Get a good product or forget about it.

Just my take on a food I am passionate about.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Chicken liver in curry is the best! I would go with chicken... I mean, you can't go wrong with chicken, even if it's only liver. Right?
Old 09-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
Head Chef

I like my chicken livers fried in a spicy batter, same as gizzards.
yum!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Go to your butcher, yeah, the guy in the supermarket, and tell him you want fresh calves liver, at least 3/4 of an inch thick.
I'll head to the butcher down the street. It's owned by a nice Irish family that have been there since the 40's

Best meat in the city, bar-none.