I want to retry liver, need suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudkips

Assistant Cook
Hello all!

I remember trying some liver about 10 years ago when my Grandfather made it and not liking it at all. I'm 21 now and I'm more open to new types of food (especially in the last year). So I made the decision to buy liver tomorrow, but I am wondering which do you think would be the best to start with.

beef, duck, chicken or turkey?

Pate is the only form of liver I can tolerate. If I were to try liver I think it would be chicken livers and hide them under lots of bacon. Good luck with expanding your culinary tastes.

If you can wait til Monday for the recipe, I'll ask my best friend's mother. She is from Germany and my friend swoons over her liver and onions (yes, I once lugged them in a ziploc bag to her in Dallas, many years ago). I personnally can't stand liver, but I know my friend and her mother love it.

sautee bacon and onions together until nicely cooked and softened, add chicken livers, sprinkle with salt, pepper, parsley, sautee until medium (maybe a little pink inside, nicely browned outside) add splash of dry sherry and reduce, serve over buttered herbed rice

If you like the above, try much the same with fresh calves liver, lightly dusted with flour.

A marinera sauce is delicious with liver...the acids in the tomatoes cut some of the strong liver flavor. serve over rice.

Real cajun dirty rice has chicken livers chopped up in it with onion bell pepper and garlic. (and hot chili flakes)

You may want to start with chicken livers or calfs liver, ( little milder), Dh detest liver, so I really miss it. It does have its own flavor you either like or not. Good luck - now I am hungry for it !

Go to your butcher, yeah, the guy in the supermarket, and tell him you want fresh calves liver, at least 3/4 of an inch thick.

The meat should be pink, not red.

Do not settle, please. for the frozen dark red 1/4 inch thick stuff most stores pawn off.

I love liver and will not eat that.

I believe I can make anyone like liver, if given the right product. Several years ago my sil came to visit and we went to a favorite restaurant. I suggested the liver - it was a delight. It was almost white, kinda looked like sweetbreads, in a honey sauce.

She said she hated liver. I told her I would order whatever she liked, and if she did not like the liver we would switch. Needless to say I went liverless that night.

Another convert.

She now craves the stuff.

Liver should be looked upon as any other piece of meat.

It is difficult to make a 1/2 inch thick round steak a delicacy. Similarly, one cannot take liver from a aged steer, cut it thin, and make it palatable.

The old computer maxim, garbage in - garbage out applies to food, and particularly liver.

Get a good product or forget about it.

Just my take on a food I am passionate about.

Go to your butcher, yeah, the guy in the supermarket, and tell him you want fresh calves liver, at least 3/4 of an inch thick.

I'll head to the butcher down the street. It's owned by a nice Irish family that have been there since the 40's :LOL:

Best meat in the city, bar-none.

Mudkips, I wish I had a local one. The closest actual butcher shop is some hour plus (depending upon traffic) away.

So like many we have to rely upon the supermarket folks.

Have found them very receptive though.

These guys are taught how to do all the great things folks can do with meat and then are put into a place where they, at most, get primal cuts and put them in packages with cling wrap about them.

Have found most very receptive and great to work with.

calves liver is wondrful but done wrong terrible. timing is the key over done it is rubberery and tough. Underdone LOL it isn't cooked. Remember it is organ meat not muscle so it cooks different than say... a t-bone. There are a number of recipes at All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips. Try cooking it several times for each way you can make it to get it just at its peak. I like barding with bacon and served with carmelized onions sometimes mushrooms too.

Hey guys

Wanted to tell you I had liver last night for dinner and it was not bad at all, it was actually pretty good!

Of course I'm a day or so late but I love chicken livers, dusted with flour. First I saute onions and mushrooms in butter; deglaze with a little sherry then add the livers and brown on all sides; Then I flame it with rum or brandy and serve them with mashed potatoes.

Whatever the kind of liver, the main secret is NOT to overcook it. When overcooked, it takes on the texture of an old shoe sole. :wacko:

Haven't made liver at home for years, but, I used to bread it.....dust with flour, dip in egg, then into breadcrumbs, or panko, or matza meal. Fry up quickly in a bit of canola oil...it's deelish!!!

I love liver most ways it's cooked. But my absolute favorite is to boil hcicken or turkey livers along with the necks and gizzards. Then, I take the livers out and process them with some rendered chicken fat, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper, throw in some rubbed sage, and form into a pate'. Of course, I've also done this starting with raw livers and cooked everything together. it's really easy to make and tastes great. The thing about starting with the cooked livers is that you can adjust the seasoning until you get it right. Then, if you've taken careful measurements, you can add the same seasonings to the uncooked livers, process, and can or use as your own, home-made liverwurst.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom