"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Its such a relief to hear that everyone here enjoy cooking at home!
In my family we have a rule of 1 day eat out/ month! Yes.... its very tough at the beginning, but eventually it forces me learn and experiment different recipes. We enjoy making new dishes at home. Then when we get to go out, we pick the best place we want to try and really treasure that moment too.
For example, we LOVE PIZZA (its capital LOVE PIZZA!)!!! Now my husband refuses going to pizzeria, because he said the best pizza is at home, so why bother? Oh well... its flattering to hear, but that means more rolling and doughing for me. :D hehe

Old 11-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Addie, you are not elderly. The new "elderly" is over 80. Perhaps you didn't get the memo! LOL

At one job, I passed McDonald's on the way and I stopped every morning and got a breakfast sandwich. After 8 years, I got another job that did not pass a McDonald's. I did not save any money nor lose any weight. I don't understand why that was.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Addie, you are not elderly. The new "elderly" is over 80. Perhaps you didn't get the memo! LOL

At one job, I passed McDonald's on the way and I stopped every morning and got a breakfast sandwich. After 8 years, I got another job that did not pass a McDonald's. I did not save any money nor lose any weight. I don't understand why that was.
You're right. I didn't get the memo. Or at least my body didn't.

Instead of McDonald's, you passed a doughnut shop. To get something to go with your morning coffee.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:

Perhaps it only shows that Mc'D.s isn't as bad as the naysayers want us to believe?

Addie, We're only as young as we feel. I hope you get the T-day meal you missed and go ahead and feel 16 again. Don't let anyone deny that feeling to you. Unless they've tread in our shoes then they can't comprehend.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

We don't eat out as much as we used to. This is primarily due to the cost.

We do mostly take-out, pizza, Popeye's or Chinese. My one exception is an Italian sub for lunch on Fridays.

When we do eat out, it's often for lunch or breakfast at local spots.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Perhaps it only shows that Mc'D.s isn't as bad as the naysayers want us to believe?

Addie, We're only as young as we feel. I hope you get the T-day meal you missed and go ahead and feel 16 again. Don't let anyone deny that feeling to you. Unless they've tread in our shoes then they can't comprehend.
I had a chemical stress test. I left the hospital before all the results were available. The doctor will call me Monday to let me know. He thinks there may be a blockage in my heart again. If so, I will be taking another trip to the Cath. lab for an angioplasty. They will put in another stent. That will make six. I didn't do to well with the test. The other times I have had that test, I went through it for the duration. This time I didn't last three minutes. They had to reverse the chemical reaction fast. My blood pressure dropped so low they couldn't even get a reading.

My T-meal should be here around three today. Better late than never. Every time I see a kid on a bike, I want to go buy one for myself. But that idea go nixed by Winthrop. Balance problem due to middle ear problems.

My daughter reminded me that she is approaching 60 real fast. Good grief! I am the mother of a 60 year old kid.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We don't eat out as much as we used to. This is primarily due to the cost.

We do mostly take-out, pizza, Popeye's or Chinese. My one exception is an Italian sub for lunch on Fridays.

When we do eat out, it's often for lunch or breakfast at local spots.
Same here. I only eat out if I am with family and they are paying the bill. My big splurge is BK about once a year. Sm. Fries, Jr. Whopper and a small soda. Big spender that I am!
Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #18
Executive Chef

We still eat out, but the places we go to are local chain restaurants where you can get a meal for 8-9 dollars. They are smaller portions, which works for us, and tasty. DH likes Subway, too, now that they toast their subs. About once a month we splurge and go to Texas Roadhouse, my favorite. We rarely order a meal over $10. We don't like fast food anymore.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You're right. I didn't get the memo. Or at least my body didn't.

Instead of McDonald's, you passed a doughnut shop. To get something to go with your morning coffee.
No, I hate donuts and most other baked goods. It has to be real food for me. The new job was 2 miles from home with no food places in between. I cooked an egg and toast at home, but I figured that was way lower in calories and fat than a McD breakfast sandwich.

Maybe since I didn't eat any fast food otherwise, that one meal didn't harm me much. They say the food you eat earlier in the day is burned off with activity, but the stuff you eat at night just clings to the hips, thighs and belly.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
No, I hate donuts and most other baked goods.
Do you like baking at home, CarolPa?

Tags
eating, eating out, lunch