I was thinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Cardiologist threw his hands up in the air and ran from the room...I shouldn't have told him about the eggs...

And that can be a very dangerous thing. :)

Didn't know where to put this but it was either General Cooking or Terms & Techniques. GC won. :dizzy:

This might be of interest to those cooking for one as I do.

I love bacon.
:yum:
I also love a bargin.;)

I tend to buy bacon in large packages (3lbs. is large for one person) but it's less expencive this way and I'm very cheap/ frugal. It is also frequently on sale in those packages so I take advantage of that.

One problem this presented was that I don't like the mess involved in cooking bacon. (Yes I've tried the oven method but prefer it cooked the old fashion way in a pan.) So I tend to go on a bacon binge.
I'd cook large batches or the whole three pounds and end up with a mountain of bacon . Store it in the fridge and have bacon everything to use it up before it sat too long in the fridge. (Not that bacon everything is a bad thing.) :LOL:

I agree about preferring my bacon fried, and I too don't like the mess. That's why I bought one of THESE.

91tch7mvkYL._SL1500_.jpg

It's great for all of those messy frying jobs - last night I used it when I made crispy chicken fingers. It's superior to the screen types, which I've also had. Fits all up to my 12" fry pans, but not my 14".

Last edited:
Ends and pieces for all my baconry needs
I buy those too. I chop it in 1 inch pieces, great for sandwiches, salads, add to a stew or soup.

Regular sliced bacon, 16 oz is usually 1 oz slices, so 16 slices. Occasionally, you will get 15 slices, sometimes 17 slices. It is helpful to know this if you are wrapping a certain number of chicken breasts or annaheim peppers.

Thick sliced bacon: no idea how many slices per pound.

Usually 12, blissful. I buy thick-sliced since I tend to use bacon more like a condiment than a "food". Regular bacon seems to disappear when I fry it up for dishes like my Brussels Sprouts casserole.

I even buy it unsliced when I know that it will be mostly used for something other than breakfast bacon or BLT's. That way I control the size of the pieces.

Back
Top Bottom