"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
Cook

I checked the freezer temp, and it was indeed a bit too low (about -8 degrees F--thanks, Andy), and I fixed that.

And yesteday I made this, using erythritol instead of Splenda:

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

2 cups HWC
.75 cup erythritol
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 drops green food coloring
2 squares of unsweetened chocolate

It tasted great, as always. The texture was a little fluffier than usual. Really good stuff.

I put what we didn't eat in the freezer, and I checked it this morning. The result:

Hard as a rock. Nothing like store-bought ice cream.

So, I'll try the vodka thing next.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
Cook

P.S. Not only is it hard, but if I chip some off, it flakes like plaster. I can defrost it on the counter for 30 minutes, and it's okay then, but I'd prefer it to work right from the freezer.

So, I'll try the vodka thing and the other suggestions next.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I work for the largest Ice Cream manufacturer in the US. A few facts. We store our Ice Cream at -20 F. Yep, -20. The big difference that you cannot duplicate in a home freezer is the amount of air we inject. Take a container of ice cream and let it melt and see how much you have left. One of the things that we do not allow is our ice cream to get warm. Once it starts to melt, you loose the air and then when it re-freezes you get Ice crystal and that crunchy feel. Net net - home made ice cream will always freeze hard.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
I work for the largest Ice Cream manufacturer in the US. A few facts. We store our Ice Cream at -20 F. Yep, -20. The big difference that you cannot duplicate in a home freezer is the amount of air we inject. Take a container of ice cream and let it melt and see how much you have left. One of the things that we do not allow is our ice cream to get warm. Once it starts to melt, you loose the air and then when it re-freezes you get Ice crystal and that crunchy feel. Net net - home made ice cream will always freeze hard.
Mine was no harder than the Blue Bunny Vanilla sitting nest to it in the freezer. To get more air, I run my ice cream maker at it's higher speed. I think the corn syrup helped the texture, as both gelatin and eggs freeze solid if in the freezer. Corn syrup become semi hard, but still flows, albeit very slowly.

I'm not exactly sure why my home-made ice cream has the right texture, I just know that my playing around with it worked, and I have repeated it multiple times.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
Whipping in more air is also what makes ice cream cheaper. Premium ice creams have less air, not more. More air is called 'overrun' in the industry, and it's not a desirable thing. Cheap manufacturers selling more air is precisely why many of us prefer to make our own. The Blue company also uses more milk/less cream for a lower fat content and lower cost. They make up for it by adding more sugar. Fat doesn't freeze as hard as water, so they have to add more sugar both to compensate for the texture issues and to add back some missing flavor. I also used to work in the ice cream industry - but for a small batch processor. The blue company couldn't hold a candle to our stuff. Bigger doesn't mean better.

Rich & dense - that's what we look for.

Chief is right - corn syrup, maple syrup, agave syrup, honey can all help PianoAl with his ice cream, but he apparently is trying for a sugar-free ice cream. More air won't help with that. He needs to add an ingredient that will lower the freezing point. The artificial sweeteners he has at his disposal aren't helping. Adding alcohol will help.

Homemade ice cream, made properly, freezes no harder than a good premium ice cream. And there's no comparison to the Blue company stuff.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We call the stuff with all the air "clown ice cream".
Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never made ice cream but I came across this today. Maybe it will help: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make...e-cream-221812
Old 07-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

You are right on, Silversage. I notice some super cheap "ice creams" no longer call their concoctions ice cream as it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for that title. 'Frozen dairy dessert' just doesn't cut it.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #19
Master Chef

Seems to me that gelato has less fat in it as well. It is also served at a warmer temperature so that it is not rock hard, and also creates the sensation of more intense flavor because it's easier to taste things that are warmer.

As an experiment, drink a glass of milk at 32.5 degrees, then a glass at 40 degrees. The warmer same milk tastes much richer at a warmer temperature.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I put gelato in my freezer, it as hard as ice cream out of the same freezer. Someone, I think Bakechef, said it had to do with the milk powder in gelato.

Tags
cream, frozen, ice cream