Ideas for dairy free dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hedelian

Assistant Cook
I make dinner for my four housemates (three guys and a girl), and they always are still hungry afterwards. I've tried upping the portions, but to no avail. The only dishes I know of that are filling are cheese based, and one of my housemates is lactose-intolerant. Does anyone have any dishes in mind that are filling and dairy free?

Try a chili. Lots of beans (red kidney, white navy add what you like) meat or there are vegetarian chilis too. I use olive oil instead of butter and you have it dairy free. Some hot pepper heat and it fills you good. We like it with a bed of rice.

If they aren't vegetarian, then simply use proteins such as beef, chicken, pork, seafood, etc. for more filling bulk!

Spaghetti is always a great filler, you can top it with chopped olives of your choosing for a flavor boost. Gosh, there are so many great dairy-free dinners! Try cooking Asian, almost all Asian style meals are dairy-free, and they can certainly be filling. Thai curries made with coconut milk, chicken in a peanut sauce with soba noodles, stir fries, pad thai, teriyaki bowls, etc.

Also, what about plain old hamburgers?

If you are seeking vegan dinners, I can offer other suggestions :chef:

There are only a few things that can't be made without dairy. There are plenty of substitutes for milk and butter and there is usually a work around for cheese in a dish (dairy free cheese is gross IMO). Is there something you had in mind? Specific cuisines? What sort of thing do you cook that they really enjoy?

I mostly agree with the "gross" on the dairy-free cheese, but dairy-free cream cheese and Parma are pretty good, and homemade "cheesy" items using nuts and other bases are quite yummy! That said, some people do like dairy-free cheeses, so it is worth experimenting with!

My chili has no dairy in it, nor does my beef stew, chicken stew, calico beans, steaks, curries, cabbage soup, stuffed green peppers, or stuffed cabbage to name a few dishes. There are definitely more than a few things that can be made without dairy, and are filling too.

If they are not vegetarian then go for an easy Italian Beef in your crockpot. Put it on in the morning and by dinner-time, its ready. I love to put tons of peppers and spices in mine.

Cook with Nucoa margarine or Blue Bonnett Light and plain soy milk. I used to do it all the time before I found out my son couldn't have soy. You can make almost anything that requires dairy with substitutes that are fairly easy to find.

And if you don't feel like substituting, meat and potatoes are quite filling.

You can try making a Stir fry with plenty of rice. All you need is onions, carrots, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, tomatoes, prawns or chicken, spring onion and ginger. You don’t even need salt if you don’t want to, you could use fish sauce instead. It comes out very nicely. Have rice noodles or rice as a side dish.

It is a very healthy and feeling. Eat as much as you like!

Cook with Nucoa margarine or Blue Bonnett Light and plain soy milk. I used to do it all the time before I found out my son couldn't have soy. You can make almost anything that requires dairy with substitutes that are fairly easy to find.

And if you don't feel like substituting, meat and potatoes are quite filling.

I like Earth Balance for margarine, since it is one of the only ones without hydrogenated oils that is also dairy-free.

In terms of no soy, nuts are a great filling food that work wonders. Nut milks, homemade nut creams, etc.

Unsweetened Soy Milk is better than Plain Soy Milk. It has a blander flavor that doesn't unduly sweeten the dish, especially for sauces. I sometimes use rice milk too, as it doesn't have that 'soy' flavor. For pure drinking, my favorite is almond milk.

I like Earth Balance for margarine, since it is one of the only ones without hydrogenated oils that is also dairy-free.

Earth Balance is also fish free =)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom