"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 46
Ideas for Pickling Beets

I decided to pickle beets, and I looked for some ideas. I was amazed at how many different ways there are to pickle beets. The only thing the recipes seemed to agree on is the beets, but a lot of other things were up to interpretation.

I decided to boil the beets with cloves in the water, then reserve the water. I made a pickling mixture with white vinegar, sugar, and garlic cloves, and mixed in the "beet water" to top off the jars. I've found that beets don't stand up to straight vinegar (they become overpoweringly intense).

What have you used in your recipes? The flavor from what I made was good, but I'm always looking for great. :) I'm open to new ideas for next time. NOTE: I once tried adding balsamic vinegar to the picking mixture, which added a nice flavor, but made the beets brownish.

__________________

__________________
"Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength."
- Theodore Roosevelt
The Late Night Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,721
I have not pickled beets because we don't enjoy beets. I just wanted to mention that, in order to preserve foods safely, especially if you are going to be canning them, it's important to use tested recipes. You can use different flavors of ingredients, but the vinegar-water ratio should be kept the same.

Here are a few:
- http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_beets.html

- http://food.unl.edu/canning-pickles-fermented-foods

- http://foodinjars.com/2013/05/guest-...rch/#more-5033
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,990
Ideas for Pickling Beets

I use allspice berries, along with a sugar/vinegar/water solution. Ball Blue Book has a decent recipe. Garlic cloves with pickled beets just doesn't sound right to me.

Sure wish I had my grandma's pickled beet recipe. They'd set your teeth on edge, but they were so good!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I use allspice berries, along with a sugar/vinegar/water solution. Ball Blue Book has a decent recipe. Garlic cloves with pickled beets just doesn't sound right to me.

Sure wish I had my grandma's pickled beet recipe. They'd set your teeth on edge, but they were so good!
I like the idea of allspice...it should give them a Moroccan-inspired flavor. I went with garlic because I wanted to give them a more savory flavor to balance the sweetness. It's actually pretty good (you don't get punched in the mouth with it, since the garlic is boiled with the vinegar).
__________________
"Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength."
- Theodore Roosevelt
The Late Night Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,073
My dad made it back in the day.
Based on my memory, there was definitely
Beets
Water
vinegar
Sugar
Cloves
salt
Sliced onions ( the onions were the best part)

I don't remember the exact recipe.
They weren't too sweet, just a little sugar to give it a boost.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 279
I make a batch every year and use the Ball recipe which is basically what Larry posted. I've tried the Kerr recipe but it has cinnamon and can be a little spicy. I'd don't mind it but she does. I save the juice from several jars and use it for pickled eggs. These recipes are all on line.
Lance Bushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 9,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I just wanted to mention that, in order to preserve foods safely, especially if you are going to be canning them, it's important to use tested recipes. You can use different flavors of ingredients, but the vinegar-water ratio should be kept the same

Yes!!!
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Bushrod View Post
I make a batch every year and use the Ball recipe which is basically what Larry posted. I've tried the Kerr recipe but it has cinnamon and can be a little spicy. I'd don't mind it but she does. I save the juice from several jars and use it for pickled eggs. These recipes are all on line.
Great idea (saving the liquid and reusing for pickled eggs)! Depending on the timing, I might be able to do this in time to make Easter eggs.
__________________
"Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength."
- Theodore Roosevelt
The Late Night Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
My dad made it back in the day.
Based on my memory, there was definitely
Beets
Water
vinegar
Sugar
Cloves
salt
Sliced onions ( the onions were the best part)

I don't remember the exact recipe.
They weren't too sweet, just a little sugar to give it a boost.
I like this...it's sort of like making pickled onions (I assume red onions), but with the beets playing a co-starring role.
__________________

__________________
"Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength."
- Theodore Roosevelt
The Late Night Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beets, ideas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.