Ideas requested - Southwestern Theme Lunch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yakuta

Head Chef
A couple of us are throwing a baby shower for my sister in law and I have decided to go with a Southwestern theme menu.

Since the guests will arrive around noon I want to make this a lunch affair with a substantial menu.

Most guests who will visit don't eat Pork (more a cultural/religious thing) and also no alcohol. Other than that everything else is fine.

It will be for 50 women (yes we have a large circle of family and friends and cousins) so I need simple yet substantial recipes.

Here is my plan for the menu:

Fajita bar - Steak and Chicken both that will be served with a varitey of condiments - Ideas would be great
Beef Enchilada's - Not sure if there is an easy way to make them for so many people so please share any thoughts especially those with catering experience
Some sort of salsa w/chips- thinking of black bean with roasted corn and other fruits and red onions. Ideas or other suggestions welcomed
Corn bread
Spanish Rice - Never made them before so a recipe would be welcomed

I would appreciate suggestions if there are other easy items that can be added/replaced. I don't want to spend the entire time slogging so I want something easy for that large of a crowd.

A large pot of chili with corn bread and cheese to go with it.

Quesadillas. Assemble ahead of time, them just cook and cut into wedges for service.

:chef:Beef Enchiladas are easy and delish if you "stack them" instead of "rolling them".....

Just use a casserole dish and "layer them"
Put alil Sauce in the dish...
Tortillas placed around in dish...
Sauce poured on top of these...
Beef sprinkled all around
Cheese atop ...
Repeat....

Kinda like you do
scalloped potatos...

Last edited:
Texas Tamale that's a great idea and sounds really easy too. Do you know if I can assemble the Enchilada's and freeze them and then bake them the day of the shower.

Thank you

This is a really good appitizer to feed a bunch of people.

Texas Caviar
1(15 1/2oz)can yellow hominy, drained
1(15oz)can black eyed peas, drained
3 green onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 medium sized green peppr, seeded & diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
1/3C chopped fresh parsley
1/4C chopped onion
1/2C commercial zesty Italian salad dressing
Garnish: fresh parsely sprigs
Tortilla Chips

Combine first 9 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir well. Pour salad dressing over black eyed pea mixture; toss gently. Cover & chill thoroughly. Toss again before serving. Garnish if desired. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 6 1/2 cups.
This recipe makes a heafty yield for a crowd. Add a 15 ounce can of black beans, drained , to make the recipe serve even more.

Last edited:
Crewsk, sounds easy and really good. I will make a small batch and test it out and then go with it.

Texas Tamale no worries, as you can tell I am trying to do what I can ahead of time so cleaning is all that I have left for the morning but I can get the other things done and just leave assembly for the end. Should not be too bad.

Any other ideas are welcomed, especially on making good Spanish rice.

This is One of My Fav's....

Gazpacho Dip

3 tablespoons vegtable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic (powder)
1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
1 4oz can chopped black olives, drained
1 4oz can chopped green chiles
2 to 3 fresh tomatos, finely chopped
4 green onions stems and all, finely chopped

Blend Oil,Vinegar,salt, garlic, and Black pepper. Stir in rest of ingredients. Chill several hours before serving (this will be great to make the day before)

I would double this recipe for a large family (how wonderful to have such a large Family!:))

Digging around for my Spanish Rice Recipe....:-p

Last edited:
Arroz Central Cafe
(Central Cafe Rice)
Serves 4 to 6

1 cup long grain rice
1/2 onion chopped (yellow or white)
1 4oz can green chile (drained)
1/2 can of 14.5 oz can chopped tomatos (drained)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegtable oil
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon salt

One of the secrets to good Spanish Rice is to "brown" the rice first.(IMHO)...
Add the oil to the Sauce Pot (med heat)...pour in Rice and stir...rice will start to get chalk white....keep stiring occasionally until Rice becomes "toasted" (light brown)...add the onion....stir until onions are soft... add garlic,tomatos, green chiles, salt, and chicken stock, stir.....cover and simmer for about 20 minutes (like you would regular rice):chef:

Texas Tamale all these wonderful recipes are getting me really excited for the party. The Spanish rice recipe sounds easy and flavorful. I think I am getting really hungry right now and may have to make these beforehand to satisfy my spicy food cravings.

Glad to help:chef:

Of course no "Southwest Theme" would be complete without:

Chile Con Queso

1 Box Velveeta Cheese (large one) cut into chunks
1 medium onion (yellow or white) chopped
3 to 4 Jalapenos chopped (the canned ones or fresh)
1 14.5oz canned chopped tomatos (no need to drain)
2 large cloves garlic minced
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup Milk

In a large sauce pot, melt butter...add the onions and cook until soft...add garlic...saute just until you smell garlic...add the jalapenos...add can of tomatos... let simmer for a couple minutes...add Velveeta chunks and milk...(have heat on low at this point) stir occasionally until cheese has melted completely (you may want to add more milk, depending on thickness)

The Jalapenos may be substituted with 3 cans of the 4oz Green Chiles if you'd like.....:)

This can be made a couple days in advance and keep in the fridge!!!! (you will want to re-heat on low, and add alil milk to the bottom of the pot before you put Queso in)
I serve mine in the Crockpot (on lowest setting) to keep nice and warm for the tortilla chips!

Green chili chicken enchiladas are my favorite and they are soo easy. Line a square casserole dish with flour tortillas then layer chicken, green chilis, cheese and sour cream. I layer 3 high. Spice it up any way you like . Pop in oven for 20 mins.

This is my favorite southwestern dessert -

Sopapillas

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. shortening
1 cup warm water

-mix first 3 ingredients; cut in shortening and add water.
-Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; cover with damp cloth; Let dough rest for approximately one hour.
-Divide into 2 equal pieces and roll each piece to 1/2" - 3/4" thick.
-Cut triangles out of dough. (about the size of your hand)
-heat oil (about 1-1/2" deep) to 425. Fry triangles, turning once, until golden; drain on brown paper bags covered with paper towels.

Notes: Serve with honey butter.

Are you by chance going to be using chaffing dishes or any other type of method to keep the food warm? The reason being is because a lot of Mexican/Southwestern dishes taste horrible when they're cold (espcially the dishes that most people are familiar with), unless they're supposed to be served that way. If you are going to be using something to keep the food hot, then that will give you a lot more options in terms of what to serve.

jkath said:
This is my favorite southwestern dessert -

Sopapillas

Oh Yea!.....Right out of the fryer...still warm!!! Yummy!

Some Restaurants in El Paso, stuff them with beef, pork, etc... and make them a Savory Dish...really delish!

You just reminded me JKath, thinking of "Puffy Warm Sopapillas"....
I will send you anything from Texas if you send me some "Puffy Tacos"
img_129926_0_c123987ba0ce0b8d37291f740fd5cd7a.gif
LOL!

Sopapillas are good every way you make them!
The beef ones really are good, especially when you stuff them with slow cooked roast that has been cooking with onions and chiles.mmmmmmm!

I also love drizzling honey on them. Normally I don't care for messy foods, but this is an exception!

Yakuta, I've noticed that there's mixes for sopapillas at Cost Plus World Market, it you want to go that route.

TexasTamale - I've only been to your state once, but WOW! What a great state!!! Driving across it on the 10 fwy to Corpus Christie was awesome!

Traveling through Texas is quite the Trip....

As a child, we would visit Family in Florida, and instead of asking "Are we there YET?".....we would ask....
Are We "OUTTA TEXAS YET?????" (from El Paso Texas it's a S-T-R-E-T-C-H)
img_129936_0_0c02ab6c593ac9b2929934c3eeae3c39.gif

This would be a really fun and memorable thing to do for all the guests after a Southwest party!....
Everyone can make the Sopapillas together!
Have a Sopapilla Bar with all kinds of Goodies to induldge atop!!!
I know you said Yakuta, that 50 or so would be attending...so these might be a little too labor intensive for this Fiesta, unless your are the Lady that just won the Lotto for the "second time" they were talking about in the News, and you already have a "BIG KITCHEN!"
img_129936_1_9474d4f03dcdaa71f03a4acdbfb656a4.gif

LOL! but, Jakath just gave me some really great ideas for the next Fiesta!!!

Wow you guys have given me so many ideas. Ironchef you bring up a good point on keeping items warm but here is my plan.

When people first come in and get acquainted we will leave some salsa's and chips out along with punch. People will munch and chat and wait until the guest of honor arrives. After that we will serve lunch. I will make two trays of enchiladas and fajitas. I will remove one tray at a time so that the others stay warm. People can help themselves with one and being the fact that there are 50 or so folks, I doubt I will have many leftovers. The fajita's will not be sizzling but should taste fine warm with all sorts of condiments. The rice should be fine slightly warm not piping hot as well. Finally I will have corn bread again which will be slightly warm.

I know why I hate having one oven now. It's impossible to fit everything in it. I do however have a large warming drawer where I can place dishes in and out of for quick warming.

I personally like hot food at parties and am not a huge fan of all cold cuts and room temperature stuff even in the summer months. I hope I can pull it off.

Back
Top Bottom