"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Idle curiosity

A television comedy from way back when, "Roseanne", came up in conversation today and I thought I'd ask you what a "loose-meat sandwich" was. (The heroine of the series bought a diner which served said sandwich but it was never explained)

Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We had a discussion on this a while back. It's basically a sloppy joe sandwich.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Master Chef

Generally, loose-meat sandwiches are sloppy joes without the tomato sauce. They are made from hamburger (mince) with onion. Brown the meat with the onion. You can add salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, etc to go with your tastes. Spoon it on a bun.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Sous Chef

We had a place in town here that had them on the menu when Rosanne was popular......HORRIBLE. They lasted about a month.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
We had a place in town here that had them on the menu when Rosanne was popular......HORRIBLE. They lasted about a month.
Hmm, not, I think, the first local delicacy I will seek out when I eventually make it across the pond.

New England in the fall is on my list of to-does for my retirement. Hackneyed and touristy, I know but at least it's not Disneyland. I'm sure Florida is beautiful and well worth a visit but my heart sinks when yet another Brit says they're going to America for their vacation and when asked where, the answer is Disneyland. Yes, I know it's their money so it's their choice but there are so many interesting/beautiful/historical/etc., places to visit in the USA but all that Brits seem to want to see is bl**dy Micky Mouse! Some of them go two or three or more times, with or without the excuse of young children! And it's not just Disneyland USA. I used to work with someone who had been to Disneyland Paris FIVE times and never once took in Paris itself!

(That last paragraph should probably be in "Petty Vents" )
Old 01-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

MC, I hate Mickey, Donald Duck and anything that has the word "Disney" on it.

You won't be sorry if you come to New England. You will feel right at home. I think the Boston accent is the closest to the English accent as you can get outside of the British Commonwealth countries. As much as I love Boston, I think if you are looking for real country beauty, Vermont is the state to visit. So many covered bridges, white churches with a clock in the steeple. FYI, in New England if the church has a clock in the steeple, it is most likely a Congregational church. Or at least started out that way. And come in the Fall. The changing colors of the leaves can take away your breath. You do have to be careful if you are driving. Leaf peeping can hypnotize you and you forget you are behind a wheel.

Of course Boston's history is closely tied to England. I think that is why Queen Elizabeth II has come her so often. I have often thought that if I were the dignitary greeting her here, I would not want to point out our history. A very big reminder that her relative King George III lost the colonies.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Some of them go [to Disneyland] two or three or more times, with or without the excuse of young children! And it's not just Disneyland USA. I used to work with someone who had been to Disneyland Paris FIVE times and never once took in Paris itself!

(That last paragraph should probably be in "Petty Vents" )
One version of a familiar quote is this:

"No one in the world, so far as I know . . . has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."

Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
Head Chef

Actually, it's Walt Disney World in Florida. I'll admit I love going to Disney. Craig hates it. I have no idea how many times I've been to WDW. I took DD and sometimes 1 of her friends multiple times a year when she was young, from about 2 to 14-15 years. Sad to say but I was way past needing a map to find anything, even bathrooms, and could tell you pretty much what was on the menus of the restaurants, even the ones that changed from time to time. I've been with the grandkids a few times but between the fact that it has gotten so expensive plus the fact that the ankles, knees and hips don't handle Disney days so well anymore, just can't go and keep up with the kids.

While visiting Paris Disney might be fun, I'd never skip Paris itself over it though.

However, back to the original topic, I always thought Roseanne's loose meat sandwich was something like this

Recipe Request: The Stewart's Scramburger!!!!!

I like this way better than a traditional Sloppy Joe, not as "gloppy" (my term).
Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's the story on the loose meat sandwich. Tavern sandwich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
A television comedy from way back when, "Roseanne", came up in conversation today and I thought I'd ask you what a "loose-meat sandwich" was. (The heroine of the series bought a diner which served said sandwich but it was never explained)

They are an AWESOME Iowa thing!

Described well above. Ground beef, onion, usually cooked in beef broth, piled on a soft hamburger bun.

They are usually called MAIDRITES