If you could have one professional cooking appliance...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A walk in refrigerator & freezer so I can expand on my attempts to stockpile & hoard food for the possibility of a famine.

fluff, how are you going to supply power to run the walk-in? i would imagine the power grid would collapse along with normal society if there was a great famine.

fluff, how are you going to supply power to run the walk-in? i would imagine the power grid would collapse along with normal society if there was a great famine.

I was thinking the same thing. Great minds and all that...

Anybody who is planning on famine and civil disruption should be concerning themselves with preserved food (dried, canned...) and probably should stockpile seeds and locate somewhere with a source of water, then plant crops after society has disintegrated.

For me it would have to be an electric stove with one burner. Last year during the summer my apartment building was left with gas for 3 months. I was given a cheapy electric stove that broke on the 2nd day.

Julio in civil disruption there isn't going to be any electricity. If I were you I'd ask for a propane stove, perhaps a single or double burner Coleman used in camping. You can use 1 lb. disposable propane bottles or get an adapter and run it from larger refillable containers (again subject to civil disruption).

In the long term you'd want a wood burning stove, and live near a forest. Preferably a forest with live game.

I've been thinking along the same lines, maybe build my own outdoor tandoor some day. I too really love tandoori chicken and naan bread, particularly garlic naan bread.

I've been thinking along the same lines, maybe build my own outdoor tandoor some day. I too really love tandoori chicken and naan bread, particularly garlic naan bread.

If you decide to do it I'll help you build it Greg and we'll celebrate with my chicken tikka masala and you can do the garlic naans:LOL:

You can't beat mopping up a nice thick curry sauce with a juicy garlic butter naan bread:) Hmmmmmmmmm.........do I have any curry left in the kitchen:LOL:

Dishwasher!!....:LOL:

When I think "commercial" I get the impression of large scale food prep or storage. I would like a 6 burner range....just because (or just in case). It's kinda cramped cooking on a standard 30" range. But, that's all I have ever owned and made do when it came time to can tomatoes or blanch veggies. I spent many hours in the kitchen putting away the crops from a large garden......nothing compares to home grown.

Was only thinking of kitchens. If I had the money, I'd have an outdoor kitchen. I think I've seen some Weber ones that I liked in W-S or something like that. I prefer the taste of coals, but one I saw had a gas hook up to light the coals. An outdoor small sink, one gas burner, stuff like that. My kitchen isn't air conditioned (does inside central a/c count as kitchen equipment?) and I'd just love to be able to sweat outside rather than in.

buckytom said:

Worry not. This I know. Totally joking my friend. I'm not REALLY expecting a famine. If the end comes near, I don't want to survive the huge loss & suffering of so many family & loved ones. I just meant I sometimes hoard food to the extent of a person preparing for a famine. In my attempts to save everything by freezing it or extend it's life with refrigeration (every crumb of leftovers known to man, & every grocery item threatened by expiration) and my attempts to cash in on "deals" with coupons or other good fortune I find myself wishing I had a restaurant style walk in fridge & freezer combo. My fridge & freezers stay packed to the point ya gotta take something out so you CAN dig around and find what you need. It's all good though, I don't mind the digging. This just means I am blessed ;-)

Back
Top Bottom