"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-12-2016, 05:02 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
What is the brand that you use if you have run out of homemade marinara/pasta sauce? I try to buy Barilla pasta sauce. It seems closer to authentic than some of the other brands. I also only buy Barilla pasta.

Classico isn't bad either. I will buy either if there's one brand on sale.

Neighbor woman makes it from scratch and jars it. It's way better than store bought stuff, but we only get a few jars of that. And it doesn't last long. :)
Honestly make your own, when you have an evening to yourself homemade ragu is simple and has a deep flavour 100g smoked pancetta, 1 red onion, 1 carrot, 2 celery sticks, mince, red wine, 140g tomato paste, 2 bay leaves, 2 beef stock cubes. Fry veg, add mince, brown, add wine burn off, add tomato paste, add 500ml water, add stock cubes, bay leaves, summer 3 hours. Then freeze portions. Worth the trouble, and when your in a rush take out of freeze, blitz in microwave serve. Taste lovely.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:48 AM   #12
Executive Chef

We rarely use bottled sauce. There usually are several bags/containers of "mother" sauce in the freezer. When we stock up for hurricane season there is a jar or two of bought sauce in the supplies.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

hurricane season

Over the pond we panic at a strong breeze, might lose the odd fence panel. Must try your mothers sauce recipe if publish
Old 03-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen20 View Post
Over the pond we panic at a strong breeze, might lose the odd fence panel. Must try your mothers sauce recipe if publish
You miss understood "mother" sauce. It isn't my mother's sauce (she couldn't cook worth a lick), It is a base sauce that can be converted/added to, to create another sauce i.e. turn it into a vodka sauce. Our "mother" sauce is Mario Batali's, fresh Sicilian sauce.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

It has been several months since Pirate and I have had Pasta. I used to buy Prego and doctored it up. Not bad, not great. Then on a whim I bought a small jar of Market Basket. Boy, was I surprised. The next time I did make pasta, I used it and after I tasted it, quickly tossed the jar so Pirate wouldn't see it. It was chunky and he thought I had made it from scratch. Now I just buy fresh tomatoes and cut them up with seasoning. It only takes about four for the two of us. I buy them on the vine.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm not ashamed to say that I'm partial to a certain store brand when I'm not making my own. I'm sure that there isn't anything authentic about it and I don't care, it's tasty! This is kind of my all purpose heavy type spaghetti sauce. There are lots of recipes that I make my own sauce for, but after work spaghetti, a jar of this with some Italian chicken sausage is delicious.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
You miss understood "mother" sauce. It isn't my mother's sauce (she couldn't cook worth a lick), It is a base sauce that can be converted/added to, to create another sauce i.e. turn it into a vodka sauce. Our "mother" sauce is Mario Batali's, fresh Sicilian sauce.
Duh! I meant Jeff Smith's aka The Frug.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #18
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
It's all well and good to make your own Marinara and either freeze or "can" a large batch and keep that on hand, but...
making sauce is a minimum of 45 minutes.
There does come a time when you are busy and haven't had the time to make more and need to get dinner on the table pronto and you do not have any more of your homemade stuff, so what do you do?
Click image for larger version

Name:	trader-joes-sauce-001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	24423
I keep a jar of this, Trader Joe's Organic Marinara in my pantry at all times for just this occasion.
We tried Rao's brand, but found that a bit sweet for our taste, not to mention that it was $8-10, NOPE!
TJ's is what? $3-4, I can justify that cost.
BUT...
when I do make my own, I use Cento or TJ's brand whole, peeled San Marzano Tomatoes from Italy. I hand crush them and this is the best sauce I have ever made.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I think it's Classico and we love the Spicy red pepper! I'd love to start making and bottling my own though :)
Old 03-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #20
Master Chef

I'm partial to Newman's Sockarooni. It's very flavorful and chunky. I also have used Hunt's and doctored it up some. I don't usually make my own because of the time factor. I used to when I wasn't working but now just can't seem to find the time.

Tags
sauce