"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea

Maybe I'm not old, maybe I'm just concentrated!
Love the perspective, Aunt Bea! Guess I'm concentrated too!

Old 10-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Master Chef

Keep your eyes on the ball guys lol! Celery ideas please not how to pickle grannies :P

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Head Chef

I grew celery this year, and I was surprised at how easy it was. I started it from seed in February, planted it out after the danger of frost was past. I mulched it heavily with straw, and just let it grow. I 'stole' stalks as the summer progressed, and harvested when it was big enough. I ate a LOT fresh, and sliced a lot with the food processor for the freezer. (I think I had to blanch it, but I don't remember right now.)

A couple of the harvested plants have resprouted, so I have some fresh celery out in the garden right now! The frozen packets are great in soup or tomato sauce, and I think I will try the casserole dish posted above. I love celery, too, Snip!!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I grew celery this year, and I was surprised at how easy it was. I started it from seed in February, planted it out after the danger of frost was past. I mulched it heavily with straw, and just let it grow. I 'stole' stalks as the summer progressed, and harvested when it was big enough. I ate a LOT fresh, and sliced a lot with the food processor for the freezer. (I think I had to blanch it, but I don't remember right now.)

A couple of the harvested plants have resprouted, so I have some fresh celery out in the garden right now! The frozen packets are great in soup or tomato sauce, and I think I will try the casserole dish posted above. I love celery, too, Snip!!
It is fab isn't it? I really must try and eat a bit less though. It's filling and I don't always want my dinner after snacking on it all day long lol!

I like the large slightly lighter stalks fresh and the thinner darker ones for cooking. The dark stalks have much more flavour but I find them too dry for eating as is.

You should try making celery leaf ice. I chop the leaves. pop them in ice trays and fill with water. The ice can be added to Virgin Mary's and into soups, stews etc.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
Cook

Yesterday, I pulled out my old, TimeLife Snacks and Sandwiches book for an enquirey about sandwich making. It has two recipes for "stuffed" celery. I haven't tried either -- I'm not that keen on uncooked celery -- but you might enjoy them. Each involves making a paste and filling the trench in a celery rib with it. The ribs are cut into 1" - 2" lengths and chilled before serving.
1) 6oz. cream cheese, 1tsp. white vinegar, 1tbsp. light cream [half and half],
1tsp curry powder, 5 tbsp. finely chopped curry.
2) 1/2lb. cream cheese, 1tbsp. grated onion, 1/3 cup fresh parsley, 1/3 cup red caviar [you can buy an inexpensive substitute in US supermarkets].
Come to think of it, I have all the ingredients for #1 at hand, and my home canned chutney is already finely chopped, so maybe I'll try that next time I buy a celery heart.
Cheers
Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been thinking Snip Yes I can think there are so many dips out there. I love to dip celery in my dad's Avocado dip or a nice Quac, or cream cheese with jezabel sauce?Shrimp butter this is usually put out to serve with thin sliced white or rye bread, how about eating some shrimp salad with the celery instead of a fork?Some sort of pate? Just some of my nutty ideas if anything sound good to you give a holler.
kades
Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I've been thinking Snip Yes I can think there are so many dips out there. I love to dip celery in my dad's Avocado dip or a nice Quac, or cream cheese with jezabel sauce?Shrimp butter this is usually put out to serve with thin sliced white or rye bread, how about eating some shrimp salad with the celery instead of a fork?Some sort of pate? Just some of my nutty ideas if anything sound good to you give a holler.
kades
What is shrimp butter and jezabel sauce? My Gran always called the forward girl Jezabels
Shrimp salad sounds great and the cream cheese and whatshamacalit sauce :)

Old 10-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
Executive Chef

my favorite hummus, either roasted garlic or spicy pepper (athenos brand), goes beautifully with crunchy celery sticks--they are a natural coupling. i am also dipping radish and cucumber slices in the hummus, and they are a good together too. but celery is my favorite dipper--at least so long as pita bread is prohibited while i'm following the medifast diet. and, besides being sooo yummy, hummus is a relatively low fat, low sugar and low carb food.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
my favorite hummus, either roasted garlic or spicy pepper (athenos brand), goes beautifully with crunchy celery sticks--they are a natural coupling. i am also dipping radish and cucumber slices in the hummus, and they are a good together too. but celery is my favorite dipper--at least so long as pita bread is prohibited while i'm following the medifast diet. and, besides being sooo yummy, hummus is a relatively low fat, low sugar and low carb food.
I love love love hummus! We don't get the athenos brand here but I make my own roasted garlic hummus and that's good with celery too. I'll look at the import section at the grocer just incase anyway :) Thanks V

Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
What is shrimp butter and jezabel sauce? My Gran always called the forward girl Jezabels
Shrimp salad sounds great and the cream cheese and whatshamacalit sauce :)
Jezabel sauce is ,apple jelly, pineapple preserves, horseradish, dry mustard and black pepper freshlyy cracked. But I'd wager you would love pickapepper sauce,poured over a 8 oz. block of cream cheese, Shrimp butter is shrimp cooked then chopped, 8oz. cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter softened,2 Tab. whites only green onions minced,4 tab. lemon or lime juice 1/4 tea. dill weed,Tabasco to your taste this is spread over bread rounds but, after mixing everything I'd use the celery to dig into this instead of putting it on white or rye rounds. Oh as to the girls, my dad got that phrase from his ma, my grandma oh my was she a a crumudgeon
kades