I'm a Schmaltz Fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, since it's all things in moderation, no matter what the fat, why not moderate with what tastes good. I've found a local source for very nice leaf lard. Still get duck fat on-line, and chicken fat just comes with the cooking here. And those more solid fats like coconut and lard do so much better for biscuits and pastries.

Yeah, but schmaltz and schmaltz herig have absolutelly nothing in comon. have no idea where the hering names comes from. ;)
schmalz herring are large fatty herrings either in brine or preserved in duck/goose fat.i guess that's the connection charlie...either the fact that the herrings, being large,are very "fatty/oily" or the preservation method using duck/goose fat...dunno but they are deeeeelish matey:yum:

Harry Cobean said:
schmalz herring are large fatty herrings either in brine or preserved in duck/goose fat.i guess that's the connection charlie...either the fact that the herrings, being large,are very "fatty/oily" or the preservation method using duck/goose fat...dunno but they are deeeeelish matey:yum:

Absolutely impossible , mixing meat and fish is not kosher, thus would not have been done

oy, who keeps kosher nowadays?

i'm getting a little fuhklempt, here. talk amongst yourselves...

chuck, i was only joking with a non-practising jew. not like you and me

no problem, tatt. although the salo/lardo that i've had was a little different. it was served room temp on a toothpick and you let it melt in your mouth just from your body heat. served with ice cold stoli, of course. :yum:

chuck, i was only joking with a non-practising jew. not like you and me

no problem, tatt. although the salo/lardo that i've had was a little different. it was served room temp on a toothpick and you let it melt in your mouth just from your body heat. served with ice cold stoli, of course. :yum:

<insert homer drooling with his head back> Food gasmic, oh yes. . . ohhhhhhhhhh yessssssssssssssssssssss

it might be, I might be wrong, but I thought that shmaltz herring is a Jewish thing.
it is charlie but i don't think the shmaltz refers to the kosher aspect but to the fattiness of the oily fish when they get large in kosher circles or the preservation method using duck/pork fat in non kosher cultures.
so we are both right which is always the best ending....and whatever they are they are deeeeeelish charlie:)!!

Reviving this thread briefly as a good place to point out the existence of the lardo pizza:

New-York-otto-lardo-pizza-Phude-nyc-jpg_181227.jpg

http://gma.yahoo.com/photos/the-fattiest-foods-in-america-slideshow/the-fattiest-foods-in-america-photo-1344449550.html

Back
Top Bottom