I'm a Schmaltz Fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes!!!
In Italy we have traditional, delicious lardo (not to be confused with our wonderful lard, strutto), like Lardo di Colonnata or Lardo di Arnad, to name just the most famous, not to talk about the "gras d'oca", duck fat, which has been produced for centuries in my home province of Pavia. You can buy it in little, wonderful jars, even if I must say I'll never betray my best friend, the Pork.
And to the hell those infamous pseudo-scientists which scorn a new food each year: they will never defeat our glorious glutton army! :LOL:

Yes!!!
In Italy we have traditional, delicious lardo (not to be confused with our wonderful lard, strutto), like Lardo di Colonnata or Lardo di Arnad, to name just the most famous, not to talk about the "gras d'oca", duck fat, which has been produced for centuries in my home province of Pavia. You can buy it in little, wonderful jars, even if I must say I'll never betray my best friend, the Pork.
And to the hell those infamous pseudo-scientists which scorn a new food each year: they will never defeat our glorious glutton army! :LOL:
What is "lardo"?

What is "lardo"?

Ciao Taxlady, lardo is cured pig's fat. Generally fat from the back or the neck is used to prepare lardo. The fat, with some remaining meat, is treated with a mixture of different herbs and spices, and salt, then left to mature for some months, and eventually sold when it reaches the proper age. Nowadays is usually eaten as an antipasto, thinly sliced, but it's also used as an ingredient in some recipes.
The two most appreciated and known lardi here in Italy are Lardo di Colonnata (from the town of Colonnata, Tuscany) and Lardo di Arnad (from the village of Arnad, in northern Valle d'Aosta region), but there are many more across the nation.

Tax Lady,

Lard in English.

Have nice evening,
Margi.

in emglish, not the same thing. lard is rendered fat. luca is talking about cured fat straight from the pig. it is known in russian/ukranian cultures as salo.

it is unbelievably delicious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom