"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 03-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef
I'm Surprised It's Working So Well

It should come as no surprise that a member of this forum has weight issues. I have battled weight issues for most of my life.

In 2003, after I had my heart attack, I went on a strict calorie counting diet and lost 43 pounds. Of course that didn't last, my love of food and eating took over and I slowly climbed back to my pre-HA weight and beyond.

Last Fall, SO was ready to diet so she asked me to set her place with a dessert plate instead of a dinner plate from now on. She also asked for a "no seconds" policy. That seemed to be a painless approach so after the holidays when I was at my heaviest, I decided to try it too. In addition, I cut out my night time desserts.

Over the past few months, I've found I can be happy with less food at meal times than I have been accustomed to eating. I still miss my desserts.

So the bottom line is that I have fairly painlessly lost twenty pounds. While that's not a huge amount given the successes others here have had, I'm now below my Pre-HA high weight. I don't know how far this will take me. We shall see.

The other day, SO suggested we start a daily walking routine when the weather warms up. Sounds kind of radical to me.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Congratulations, Andy! A pound or two per week is a healthy amount to lose, so you're on the right track.

DH and I used to go for long walks together. I can't now with the neuropathy in my feet. I miss it.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #3
Master Chef
Awesome! Congratulations!!
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
Head Chef
My son and I are planning a couple mile walk around a lake for tomorrow and possibly on Easter too. Him and I haven't walked together in years. The weather will be in the 50's F so it should be a nice walk. Shopping (not one of my favorite things) can add up to a lot of walking too. We are on a quest to find fresh horseradish. We've been checking for it for weeks in our city area, and no one is carrying it anymore. We are going to walk in a smaller city but one with specialty stores for a richer clientele. So, hopefully we find some tomorrow.

I've been slacking on my high fat/protein/veggies, low carb diet until this past two days, now I'm on track and I feel good (without the guilt!).
I taught him cream sauces today, and SOS, he had it with a shingle and I ate it in a bowl.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Good for you Andy!

I have neither gained nor lost weight in at least 5 years. Periodically I notice I have to cinch up my belt or let it out a notch. So I know my weight fluctuates over time.

I know I do not eat as much as I used to do. On a daily basis I am not a member of the clean plate club. I try to eat at least one / sometimes two veggies or a salad at dinnertime , not counting potatoes. Pretty much cut out sandwiches when I retired and no longer made work lunches. I seldom have sweets in the house, except Dx is forever sending home a baggie of her choc chip cookies. I bought a bag of potato chips this week. They will probably go stale before eating them. No soda pop. I drink lots of water, usually w/ a lemon or lime slice or ice tea winter or summer. I think I do not eat enough fruit.

My downfalls, if it can be considered this. I like potatoes, pasta and ice cream. I like buttered popcorn, which is my go-to snack. I didn't walk enough this winter, which will pick up again as it gets warmer weather. Same for bike riding.

I read with interest the low carb topics. I don't follow them, but I read them. I see various WFD threads with low carb meals q/day. Every once in a while I will see Bingo, I hit a low carb meal even if it wasn't a planned event.

I try not to have too much food guilt.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:07 AM   #6
Wine Guy
Good job, Andy! 20 pounds is nothing to sneeze at.

The smaller plate trick is one of the things I do, too.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:15 AM   #7
Master Chef

Great job!

It's all about the little things that we do everyday, at every meal!

The small plate has been helpful to me, also the small 8 oz. glass for beverages that contain calories.

Keep us posted on the walking. I need to get into the groove again now that spring is here. For me walking is fine as long as I have a destination like the store or the Post Office otherwise I feel like a homeless person wandering the streets!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:31 AM   #8
Master Chef
Congrats, Andy! It's so hard saying goodbye to those hard-earned pounds... Seriously, isn't it nice to see the weight go away?
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...The other day, SO suggested we start a daily walking routine when the weather warms up. Sounds kind of radical to me.
I hope this was typed with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek. When I wanted to take weight off before our kids graduations, not wanting to be the chubbiest mom in the auditoriums, I started with walking six months before I cut back on food. I walked at least a mile every day, either in the mall I was working at, around the (1.2 mile) block, or on the treadmill. I ended up losing 40 pounds over a period of a year-15 months.

Good luck with your efforts and keep us updated on your progress.
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:56 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Great Andy! I also eat off a salad plate , it helps.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:05 AM   #10
Master Chef
Anything you can do to make your life better is a good thing Andy!

My life changed last Sept. when I came home from a trip and was told I need a knee replacement! Whatttttt?
There's no way in the world I'll deal with extra weight on this knee with no need, so it was time to take responsibility. My mobility is limited with walking, but I sure can deal with loosing the weight impact on that knee, both for now and when it really needs replacing. Ouch.
Since Sept. I've lost 40 lbs on a low carb diet and feel great. It's just another way of thinking.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote