Imitation Krab Newburg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have a wonderful Alfredo recipe that with Sherry added makes a easy and tasty Newburg sauce.

I bought some imitation Krab that I want to use, but it's bland.

Do you have any favorite additives to imitation Krab to give it some WOW?

I know a little soy tames the sweetness, but I'm thinking marinating in Sherry might be good.

Any ideas, folks?:chef:

I think I'll join you with the same question, Zhizara.
It just so happens that I bought a pack of same today...

For the longest time, I'd been deliberately avoiding it.
Every time I'd go to a Safeway market, I would fake ignorance and ask the meat/fish guy, "what's that? can I sample a piece?" for a free snack. "thanks, that's not bad, but $8.99 seems awfully expensive. i'll take a fillet of cod, please."

It's actually not too bad. 20% real crab, I'm told. Looks convincing, texture is also manufactured with good effort. I broke down, purchased a pack a couple weeks back, and put it into a Louie salad that was pretty tasty. I think vinegars would work well with it, but I too would like to see some recipe ideas with imitation crab.

First of all, watch the sodium content, especially with any add-ins. I've been adding in a bit of salt-free lemon pepper to mine for that extra flavor boost.

I think I'll join you with the same question, Zhizara.
It just so happens that I bought a pack of same today...

For the longest time, I'd been deliberately avoiding it.
Every time I'd go to a Safeway market, I would fake ignorance and ask the meat/fish guy, "what's that? can I sample a piece?" for a free snack. "thanks, that's not bad, but $8.99 seems awfully expensive. i'll take a fillet of cod, please."

It's actually not too bad. 20% real crab, I'm told. Looks convincing, texture is also manufactured with good effort. I broke down, purchased a pack a couple weeks back, and put it into a Louie salad that was pretty tasty. I think vinegars would work well with it, but I too would like to see some recipe ideas with imitation crab.

In a frozen 1# package I paid $2.29. It does NOT taste like crab. It's fish. It has a kind of sweetish taste, that a few drops of soy eliminates.

When I lived in Hawaii in the '60s slices of it were added to soups and was called fish cake.

While looking around yesterday I noticed a recipe that used equal amounts of canned crabmeat and that it supposedly wasn't noticeable in crab cakes. I may try that.

It does make an excellent Krab salad, good on sandwiches or stuffed into avocado halves. I'll probably use some for that with HB egg, celery and onion, seasoned with Italian Salad Dressing Mix.

I usually cut the package into 4 pieces and put them in baggies in the freezer to use separately. With egg noodles and sauce I end up with at least two servings, making this an economical purchase.

BTW, I always use Krab in the name. When it first came out the K was used to differentiate imitation from real, but they often don't use the K anymore as well as not bothering to say imitation.

I bought a couple of crab cakes at a fish counter once and was infuriated to find they were not made with real crabmeat! :mad:

Last edited:
Sushi! :) Wasabi and sticky rice makes anything palatable. LOL.

Also: "Crab" rangoons. Shred the "crab" and mix into softened cream cheese. Chop some green onion and mix throughout. Put a dollop on wonton skins and fold over. (sealing the edges with water) Bake or fry until golden and crisp. :)

Last edited:
Sushi! :) Wasabi and sticky rice makes anything palatable. LOL.

Also: "Crab" rangoons. Shred the "crab" and mix into softened cream cheese. Chop some green onion and mix throughout. Put a dollop on wonton skins and fold over. (sealing the edges with water) Bake or fry until golden and crisp. :)

I've had it from a Chinese take out. It's okay so long as you aren't expecting to taste crab. Real Crab Rangoon is fantastic.

I have been getting it for .99 a pack on sale and freezing it. I use it sushi and seafood newburg.I laso like it seafood pie and just about anything that has mixed seafood. Real crab just gets lost in any dish with much flavor I prefer it just by itself.

I have been getting it for .99 a pack on sale and freezing it. I use it sushi and seafood newburg.I laso like it seafood pie and just about anything that has mixed seafood. Real crab just gets lost in any dish with much flavor I prefer it just by itself.

Would you share your seafood newburg recipe, please?:chef:

It has been my experience that Krab works best in cold applications. I make a sturdy dip from Krab with mayo and powdered Italian dressing. It is good. But it just seems to lose something in hot dishes. I really wish I could find a couple of dishes that were hot and contained the Krab because it is a good way to get fish into folks who claim not to like fish.

This might interest you, JF . :)

Here's a recipe I entered into a local "club cookbook" circa 1988. The book is a treasure, but nearly falling apart. I haven't made it in years, but it was very good and had excellent feed back.

Company Krab Bake

2 C. Best foods mayo
2 C. half and half
10 slices firm high quality white bread with crusts removed and reserved
1 lb. of the new imitation Krab, shredded
9 hard cooked eggs, chopped
1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, sauteed in butter
1 5 oz. can water chestnuts, chopped
2 ribs of celery sliced paper thin
2 green onions with green tops, sliced
1 2oz jar pimientos, chopped
1/4 C dry sherry

Stack slices of bread and cut into cubes, reserving crusts

In your largest mixing bowl blend the mayo and half and half till smooth.
Add and mix remaining ingredients. Turn into a well buttered large flat pan. Make breadcrumbs in a blender from the reserved crusts, and toss with melted butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole and chill overnight.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr.

Note: today I would use buttered Panko bread crumbs for a nice crunchy top.

Would you share your seafood newburg recipe, please?:chef:

I just wing it as I go but it something like this.

Melt 1/2 stick butter and 1 shallot in saucepan.
add 1/2 flour seasoned with paprika and chili powder and a pinch of nutmeg.
Cook "roux" for a few minutes and add a shot of sherry then about 1 /2 to 2 cups milk.(you can add some tomato paste if you like but I don't)I will sometime add a little gruyere cheese at this point.(classic has tomato-no cheese)

Let thicken then add seafood.

I usually put in an ovenproof dish then add a little more cheese and or paprika and broil untill some brown spots start to appear.Individual ramekins or gratins work nice too!

I serve with white rice.

For the seafood I stick with white flesh fish and shrimp and fake crab.Sometimes scallops too.

I don't reccomend Salmon or Mussels.I like them but they are too strong for this.I like a nice dry white wine with this or Champagne.

It has been my experience that Krab works best in cold applications. I make a sturdy dip from Krab with mayo and powdered Italian dressing. It is good. But it just seems to lose something in hot dishes. I really wish I could find a couple of dishes that were hot and contained the Krab because it is a good way to get fish into folks who claim not to like fish.

I make a california roll sushi style ramen noodle dish. It can be served hot or cold. It's delicious!

California Roll Sushi Style Noodles
1 Package ramen noodles
1 tsp butter
1/4 tsp wasabi paste (or more.. I like using A LOT.. lol)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 avocado, diced
1 cup crab Meat (or imitation crab)
1/2 cucumber, diced
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp mayonnaise
sesame seeds

Cook the noodles as directed but omit the adding of the included flavour packet. Drain, and while noodles are still warm, add in the butter, wasabi paste, and salt and pepper. In a seperate bowl, mix crab meat, vinegar, sugar, mayonnaise. Set aside. Divide noodles into 2 bowls and pile with crab mixture, avocado and cucumber. Garnish with sesame seeds.

YUM.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom