Improvising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tend to follow recipes the first time trying them unless I know they are going to be bland - then I will add whatever to make them tastier. But those recipes I try for the first time with a long list of ingredients I don't mess with. Sometimes I make notes that say "cook as written" - other times I will make notes as to what I think will make it better in my eyes.

If I don't know a cuisine I will definitely follow the recipe. Once I know it I may change something but what happens more often is I just don't need the recipe as I already understand what ingredients are unique to that cuisine and can wing it.

stinemates, you can get in the habit of using the same spices/herbs/etc. Start following the recipes and you will be amazed that there's more out there than basil, thyme, etc. I got stuck on those Italian herbs too. It was brought to my attention that no matter what I cooked it kind of all tasted the same :blush:. That's when I bought a fairly simple cookbook and started following recipes.

If you like cilantro and lime you'll find these two ingredients are used in a lot of Thai food and even Vietnamese food. Cilantro, lime, and soy sauce became, for awhile, my new basil, thyme, and garlic replacement! :LOL: But they sure did work in a LOT of things!!!! Take a flank steak and marinate with cilantro, lime, and soy - make your peanut sauce with a bit of soy sauce and a dash of fish sauce. Add in some fresh cucumbers, fresh bean sprouts, and make a wrap of sorts with butter lettuce leaves with this stuff inside with slices of the steak, drizzle with your peanut sauce..... I think I'm hungry! lol

I can't follow a recipe... I just have to add a little of this or a little of that.

stinemates said:
Thanks, ironchef, nick.

I appreciate that advice quite a bit. My Hollandaise is iffy, btw. Sometimes it breaks, sometimes it's perfect. ;x It's all about heat, I think! :X

if your hollandaise is breaking, it's most likely you're either trying to incorporate too much clarified butter or adding it too quickly. take a little more time whipping it in and keep some boiling water at hand. if it starts to break, a tablespoon or two should set it straight.
icon12.gif

pdswife said:
I can't follow a recipe... I just have to add a little of this or a little of that.

I have noted in recipe contest that a little of this or that makes a unique difference. It's like taking a basic recipe and giving it a signature.

Since it strikes me that your basic 'complaint' is flavors being too similar, here's my thought:

Why don't you post a short list of the foods you commonly make and how you would normally spice them. We could all chime in then with other spicing ideas for the same basic food. I would think a varied group of people would be better able to do this for you than a single cookbook.

As an example, chicken was mentioned, as were basil and thyme. If you did chicken with some fruit and maybe cinnamon instead, you'd get a Northern African feel to the dish. If you were to use lemon and oregano, you'd get a Greek feel. See my point? Someone can point you toward some maybe new-to-you but otherwise tried-and-true combinations to broaden your palette. I think that's a bit more likely to be succesful than just opening the spice cupboard and throwing things in at random!

I don't like to follow recipes. Takes too much time. However, I do generally follow recipes when it comes to baking. Most of the time :).

All family recipe Should be SHARED. Sharing is good. Keep the best recipes
going. Get rid of the bad recipes. When you give...you WILL receive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom