"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I tend to follow recipes the first time trying them unless I know they are going to be bland - then I will add whatever to make them tastier. But those recipes I try for the first time with a long list of ingredients I don't mess with. Sometimes I make notes that say "cook as written" - other times I will make notes as to what I think will make it better in my eyes.

If I don't know a cuisine I will definitely follow the recipe. Once I know it I may change something but what happens more often is I just don't need the recipe as I already understand what ingredients are unique to that cuisine and can wing it.

stinemates, you can get in the habit of using the same spices/herbs/etc. Start following the recipes and you will be amazed that there's more out there than basil, thyme, etc. I got stuck on those Italian herbs too. It was brought to my attention that no matter what I cooked it kind of all tasted the same . That's when I bought a fairly simple cookbook and started following recipes.

If you like cilantro and lime you'll find these two ingredients are used in a lot of Thai food and even Vietnamese food. Cilantro, lime, and soy sauce became, for awhile, my new basil, thyme, and garlic replacement! But they sure did work in a LOT of things!!!! Take a flank steak and marinate with cilantro, lime, and soy - make your peanut sauce with a bit of soy sauce and a dash of fish sauce. Add in some fresh cucumbers, fresh bean sprouts, and make a wrap of sorts with butter lettuce leaves with this stuff inside with slices of the steak, drizzle with your peanut sauce..... I think I'm hungry! lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I can't follow a recipe... I just have to add a little of this or a little of that.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #23
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by stinemates
Thanks, ironchef, nick.

I appreciate that advice quite a bit. My Hollandaise is iffy, btw. Sometimes it breaks, sometimes it's perfect. ;x It's all about heat, I think! :X
if your hollandaise is breaking, it's most likely you're either trying to incorporate too much clarified butter or adding it too quickly. take a little more time whipping it in and keep some boiling water at hand. if it starts to break, a tablespoon or two should set it straight.
let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:02 AM   #24
Head Chef
Originally Posted by pdswife
I can't follow a recipe... I just have to add a little of this or a little of that.
I have noted in recipe contest that a little of this or that makes a unique difference. It's like taking a basic recipe and giving it a signature.
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #25
Sous Chef
Since it strikes me that your basic 'complaint' is flavors being too similar, here's my thought:

Why don't you post a short list of the foods you commonly make and how you would normally spice them. We could all chime in then with other spicing ideas for the same basic food. I would think a varied group of people would be better able to do this for you than a single cookbook.

As an example, chicken was mentioned, as were basil and thyme. If you did chicken with some fruit and maybe cinnamon instead, you'd get a Northern African feel to the dish. If you were to use lemon and oregano, you'd get a Greek feel. See my point? Someone can point you toward some maybe new-to-you but otherwise tried-and-true combinations to broaden your palette. I think that's a bit more likely to be succesful than just opening the spice cupboard and throwing things in at random!
XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #26
Senior Cook
I don't like to follow recipes. Takes too much time. However, I do generally follow recipes when it comes to baking. Most of the time :).
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #27
Sous Chef
All family recipe Should be SHARED. Sharing is good. Keep the best recipes
going. Get rid of the bad recipes. When you give...you WILL receive.

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote