"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #21
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I like the recipe that Laurie posted - the only change I would make is that usually there is a bit of saffron - not enough to be bitter, just add color.
Oh, Karen, I didn't notice it doesn't have saffron. Yes, that is probably one of the most essential ingredients in a true paella. As I said I make it from my head and just tried to find a recipe that was close to traditional but easy. Saffron (just use a bit as it is pungent and expensive) adds colour and flavour.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #22
Head Chef

I do use expensive saffron.
I also use inexpensive substitutions, including an indeterminate "mexican saffron" and cumin in a pinch.
I think the bigger key to a great paella is to take the time to cook the sofritto first...
P.S. I hate burnt rice.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #23
Sous Chef

What I hate most, is that I don't live on the coast where I'd think the cost of saffron would be worthy of the fresh fish and seafood. No fresh seafood and fish from the sea for me at a reasonable cost in Michigan.

That's why I poked you guys on that. If I don't buy it, I figured we can at least talk about it.

Bob
Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I, too, would love to be able to purchase nice fresh seafood. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much landlocked so the only really fresh seafood I get is at the fine restaurants in my area. I would like nothing better than to prepare my own paella and do keep a small quantity of saffron on hand. I have a wonderful saffron bread that I use it for. But, then, I'm a breadaholic.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I, too, would love to be able to purchase nice fresh seafood. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much landlocked so the only really fresh seafood I get is at the fine restaurants in my area. I would like nothing better than to prepare my own paella and do keep a small quantity of saffron on hand. I have a wonderful saffron bread that I use it for. But, then, I'm a breadaholic.

Maybe you could post the saffron bread recipe some time? I'd like that.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #26
Senior Cook

There are quite a number of paella recipes posted right here on DC, including my own very detailed instructions for making an authentic mixed seafood paella, which can be found here: Paella Step by Step .

There are a couple of secrets to making a good paella. You need to use a large, shallow pan and not overcrowd it so everything cooks in a fairly thin layer, only an inch or so thick. Once the rice is added (it's the last ingredient), you stir it in gently then allow it to cook without further stirring. When done, remove it from the heat and cover it with a clean dish towel and let it rest for five minutes before serving.

A properly prepared paella is judged by the taste and texture of the rice, not by the other ingredients, so don't overload it. All of the meats, seafoods, vegetables, etc., are intended to enhance and complement the rice - not to dominate and overpower the dish.

Read my paella post for further tips and detailed instructions.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #27
Sous Chef

FincaPerlitas, Thank you for the link and thank you for the tips, I think I;m going to hold off on making the dish for a while until I have all my photography supplies in hand.

But I'm still thinking about making Jambalaya though since it's a lot easier to make.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

Good tip, Finca Perlitas, the other ingredients (seafood, meat, rabbit, etc.) are there to enhance and give flavor to the rice...
Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #29
Head Chef

Derek, making paella does not have to be complicated. It is historically a humble dish, designed to use up whatever ingredients were available, so don't let it intimidate you. If you are nervous about the rice, you can even precook it if you want, then stir it in. My point is - it is no more difficult to cook than jambalaya. There are a variety of recipes from simple to complicated on allrecipesdotcom. Here is one:Paella I - All Recipes
Old 06-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #30
Sous Chef

We had paella yesterday, our son cooked it for Father's Day...we taught him everything he knows LOL
seriously it's gotta be paella