"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Master Chef

I'm sure going to get one of those smokers, Katie! Thanks for the link.

Zhizara, my favorite way to use liquid smoke is this recipe. I have friend who was raised in Hawaii, and she said this pig is just like home in the pit.
High praise, I think, and one heck of a lot easier.

Crock Pot Kalua Pig

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks everyone. Kayelle, I'll definitely try the Kahlua Pig. The last butt roast I made with nothing at all on it. The flaver of the meat is so strong it didn't need anything, but if I can get that smoked flavor, all the better. Thanks Caslon for the warning about using too much. From Kayelle's recipe you don't need much at all. I like the idea of adding it to water in the bottom of the pan. I never thought to use any water because butt roast is so greasy, but I'll try it.

If it works out like I like, I can save the smoker money for now because my toaster oven is sticking "on" and scares me so I'll have to replace ASAP because it's dangerous. (I took some dishes into the kitchen as I was about to go to bed one night and found it red hot and not even ticking. VERY SCARY.)

I checked out KMart and found a programmable one for about $50. I hate trying to make toast come out the same way every time using a dial!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #13
Head Chef

Look for a product called Woody's Cook-in Sauce.
It is a concentrated hickory smoke bbq sauce. Mix it in with your
preferred sauces, gives a superb hickory smoke flavor...

Woody's Foods - Barbeque Sauce, Sweet and Sour Sauce - Reno, NV

You can search for local stores that carry it, or order online from
their website...
There are some stores in Tampa that carry it...

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

Katie, I just ordered the smaller stove top smoker. I can't wait to get it.

Zhigara, please unplug that toaster oven and throw it in the trash today!!
My son nearly burned down his kitchen with his defective toaster oven.
It came on all by itself and burst into flames!!

I now make it a habit to only plug in appliances when needed, and unplug them when I'm done. It's a very good habit to get into.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks, Kayelle. I've been keeping it unplugged except to use, and then only if I stay in the kitchen with it. It will be a little more than a week before I can order the programmable one and probably about 2 weeks before it arrives. I had the same thought that it might come on by itself, so I unplugged it. I also keep the new blender unplugged because the cord came too near the toaster oven and I don't want it getting too hot. I don't use it for any thing but toast. It's scary to know for sure it really could come on by itself. Believe the manufacturer is going to hear about it. It probably wouldn't have become a problem if they made it so I could take off the dials and clean around them, but they don't come off. I'll keep the new one unplugged when not in use too. I'll feel safer.

Again, thank you.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
...his defective toaster oven...came on all by itself and burst into flames!!
...eek, that's scary

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
If you don't already have one, you might consider getting a stovetop smoker like the one I have. I've had it for years and love it and have used it to smoke all kinds of things. Doesn't cause any smoking problems, but still gives you the wonderful flavor you want. I wouldn't be without it.
woo hooo Katie.......my stovetop smoker arrived yesterday!! I had ordered the smaller one, but when it came it looked too small, and I sent it back to get the larger one. I can't wait to try it out. I have a tri tip roast in the freezer just begging to be smoked. What are your favorite uses for it??