Indoor BBQ Without Smoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I love the taste of smoky BBQ, but I live in an apartment building where the smoke sensors set off a horribly loud continuing noise and takes quite a long time for it to be checked out and turned off.

My question is how can I roast some ribs and get that smoky flavor without disturbing my 300 neighbors, the security guard, and even, perhaps, the fire department?

Is Liquid Smoke any good? How would I use it? Any other products or methods would be appreciated.

I mix some liquid smoke with my dry spices before I rub the ribs, and wrap them for overnight in the fridge. The next day, I wrap them tight in heavy duty foil (with no liquid) and bake at 275 degrees for two hrs. Remove them from the foil, and place on a sheet pan. Brush them with barbecue sauce and return them to a 450 degree oven for about 20 min, or untill they look the way you want them. You won't have any trouble with smoke.
Hope this helps.

:chef:

Thanks Kayelle. I take it then that you like the Liquid Smoke. I'll try it. I may have to switch to a dry rub, although I like my ribs the stickier and carmelized the better. It must be time for a change so I'll definitely try it. Do you have a tried and true dry rub recipe?

That sounds delicious, kayelle. My grandfather used to put hickory salt (or is that hickory seasoning) in his BBQ sauce and that made it taste kind of smoky (he also added brown sugar, vinegar, and ketchup)

If you don't already have one, you might consider getting a stovetop smoker like the one I have. I've had it for years and love it and have used it to smoke all kinds of things. Doesn't cause any smoking problems, but still gives you the wonderful flavor you want. I wouldn't be without it.

;)Well, my "dry rub" isn't real dry. In a small bowl I mix up paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt, then I add about a tablespoon of liquid smoke and some vinegar till you have a thick paste. Rub it all over the ribs but be sure you wear latex gloves, or you'll smell like barbecue for a week. :sick:

Yes, I do like liquid smoke. For a long time I thought I didn't till I realized I had been using a bottle circa 1983. :LOL:
The new bottle is a lot better.

The stovetop smoker sounds good if it doesn't set off the smoke detector. It scares me in that respect because when I was starting a pot of beans on medium heat with apparently not enough water, I was sitting about 12 feet away and didn't even smell anything when it went off, the beans weren't even scorched smelling (I threw them out anyway) You have no idea how LOUD! it is. It only went off in my apartment, but had all the neighbors in my area alarmed and even though I had it immediately under control, it was at least another 20 minutes before the security guard got it turned off. Thank goodness the fire department didn't come!

I really would like one though and may just try the mini. I am only cooking for myself so that size sounds perfect, and for $30 I may very well give it a try. One of the suggestions was for finishing off, uncovered, in the oven. That way, I could place it in the oven, pull off the lid and shut the oven door, using the stove fan just in case.

Please reassure me about the smoke. I've wanted to get one of them for a long time now, but was afraid.

Thanks Kayelle it sounds really good. Now all I need to get are some ribs when I shop on tuesday. I really need some BBQ.

Did you ever try rubbing your BBQ scented hands on your stainless steel sink (or anything stainless) I know it really works with garlic and onion. How I haven't a clue, but I heard about it, tried it and it works.

The stovetop smoker sounds good if it doesn't set off the smoke detector. It scares me in that respect because when I was starting a pot of beans on medium heat with apparently not enough water, I was sitting about 12 feet away and didn't even smell anything when it went off, the beans weren't even scorched smelling (I threw them out anyway) You have no idea how LOUD! it is. It only went off in my apartment, but had all the neighbors in my area alarmed and even though I had it immediately under control, it was at least another 20 minutes before the security guard got it turned off. Thank goodness the fire department didn't come!

I really would like one though and may just try the mini. I am only cooking for myself so that size sounds perfect, and for $30 I may very well give it a try. One of the suggestions was for finishing off, uncovered, in the oven. That way, I could place it in the oven, pull off the lid and shut the oven door, using the stove fan just in case.

Please reassure me about the smoke. I've wanted to get one of them for a long time now, but was afraid.

No, there is NO smoke to worry about. The smoke is contained in the lidded smoker. Even when you put it in the oven, the lid stays on.

You'd like the mini one. It's great for smoking potatoes for potato salad or smoking hard cheeses. You'll even enjoy it for smoking fish, such as salmon. There's nothing like a smoked salmon Caesar salad to get your taste buds doing the "happy dance."

Infusing "smoke" into oven ribs IS a challenge. I've experimented with adding a bit of liquid smoke to the water that I add with my Norco stainless steel roasting pan.

Man, liquid smoke has it's purposes. Add just a wee too much and you will have artificial yucky tasting ribs in no time.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Kayelle, I'll definitely try the Kahlua Pig. The last butt roast I made with nothing at all on it. The flaver of the meat is so strong it didn't need anything, but if I can get that smoked flavor, all the better. Thanks Caslon for the warning about using too much. From Kayelle's recipe you don't need much at all. I like the idea of adding it to water in the bottom of the pan. I never thought to use any water because butt roast is so greasy, but I'll try it.

If it works out like I like, I can save the smoker money for now because my toaster oven is sticking "on" and scares me so I'll have to replace ASAP because it's dangerous. (I took some dishes into the kitchen as I was about to go to bed one night and found it red hot and not even ticking. VERY SCARY.)

I checked out KMart and found a programmable one for about $50. I hate trying to make toast come out the same way every time using a dial!

Katie, I just ordered the smaller stove top smoker. I can't wait to get it.

Zhigara, please unplug that toaster oven and throw it in the trash today!!
My son nearly burned down his kitchen with his defective toaster oven.
It came on all by itself and burst into flames!!

I now make it a habit to only plug in appliances when needed, and unplug them when I'm done. It's a very good habit to get into.

Thanks, Kayelle. I've been keeping it unplugged except to use, and then only if I stay in the kitchen with it. It will be a little more than a week before I can order the programmable one and probably about 2 weeks before it arrives. I had the same thought that it might come on by itself, so I unplugged it. I also keep the new blender unplugged because the cord came too near the toaster oven and I don't want it getting too hot. I don't use it for any thing but toast. It's scary to know for sure it really could come on by itself. Believe the manufacturer is going to hear about it. It probably wouldn't have become a problem if they made it so I could take off the dials and clean around them, but they don't come off. I'll keep the new one unplugged when not in use too. I'll feel safer.

Again, thank you.

If you don't already have one, you might consider getting a stovetop smoker like the one I have. I've had it for years and love it and have used it to smoke all kinds of things. Doesn't cause any smoking problems, but still gives you the wonderful flavor you want. I wouldn't be without it.

woo hooo Katie.......my stovetop smoker arrived yesterday!! I had ordered the smaller one, but when it came it looked too small, and I sent it back to get the larger one. I can't wait to try it out. I have a tri tip roast in the freezer just begging to be smoked. What are your favorite uses for it??

Back
Top Bottom