Inexpensive menu ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
choclatechef said:
Red bean and rice; Black beans and cornbread; Butter beans sliced tomatoes and corn on the cob -- Foods of the gods!

Choclatechef, I guess you know Louis Armstrong used to sign his letters "Red Beans and Ricely Yours"? :)

Also, while I've got you, so to speak, I have a vague recollection that you were recently looking for African-American cooks for a project of yours ... am I right about this, or did I dream it? At the time I wracked my brain to think of the name of a cook (not sure you could rightly call her a chef) and cookbook author who has fab recipes and a cozy, appealing writing style. The other day I was poring through a file and I found her: Edna Lewis. Do you know her?

abjcooking said:
One week I was able to get some rice a roni on sale, 3 for $3.

Even better: Follow directions, but only use half the packet. Then use the other half with plain rice or pasta and ground beef.

I got the above from a folder in my OE marked "Cheapskate". Here're some more:

Sourkraut Pierogi

2 cans of sauerkraut
1 box of lasagna noodles
1 or 2 cups brown sugar
Mashed potatoes (fresh, frozen, or instant to serve 6 to 8 people)
1 stick butter
1 pound provolone cheese, sliced

Put two cans of sauerkraut in a skillet with the stick of butter and a cup
or two of brown sugar. Let cook about an hour. Cook lasagna noodles as directed on the box. Make mashed potatoes.

Once you have all the ingredients ready, layer them in a lasagna pan.
Layer of sauerkraut, layer of noodles, layer of potatoes, layer of cheese.
Repeat. Top with noodles and sauerkraut on top

Bake at 350 degrees - 35 minutes covered, 10 minutes uncovered .

Stir it up!

Crockpot Ham and Bean Soup

1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed, drained, and picked over
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound smoked ham, chopped into bite size pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch celery, washed and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 2/3 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
1 small can tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste

Put beans in a bowl with enough water to cover them. Leave overnight. Drain off water. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and ham. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Add chicken broth. Put all into crock pot. Add the drained beans, tomato paste, and the 3 cups water. Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours or on high 4 to 5 hours. Thirty minutes before serving, add salt, pepper.

October Feast Casserole

3 med potatoes or enough pared and sliced potatoes to equal 2cups
1/4c chopped onion
1/4 c margarine
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp crushed thyme
2 c. milk
1/2 lb Echrich smoked sausage, thinly sliced
1c. frozen peas, rinsed and drained
3T. dry bread crumbs
1T. melted butter

Cook the pared potatoes and set aside.
Cook onion in 1/4 c margerine till tender.
Blend in the flour and seasonings, then add milk gradually. Stir mixture
constantly until smooth and slightly thickened. Spray a 2qt casserole dish
with Pam and layer half of sausage, half of potatoes, half of the peas, half
of the sauce. Repeat layers ending with the sauce. Combine bread crumbs and the 1T. butter or margerine and sprinkle over sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30min. or until crumbs are lightly browned.

DEPRESSION SOUP

2 cans peas with juice
1 medium onion, chopped
4 potatoes, peeled and diced
½ pound bacon, fried and crumbled
Dumplings
Salt and pepper to taste

Dump all ingredients into large saucepan. Cook on high just until it starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer just until potatoes are done, then add the dumplings.

Poor Man's Steak

1)3 pounds ground beef
2)1 cup cracker crumbs
3)1 cup water
4)1 can cream of mushroom soup

Combine ground beef, cracker crumbs, water and season to taste. Form
into serving size patties and brown in skillet. Remove browned beef
and put in oven roaster. Spread soup on top and bake covered at 325 for one hour. Serves 8-10.

If you can find chicken cheaply (we can sometimes find old hen hindquarters for 39 cents a pound) do pot pies.

Make the pie crusts, add some roasted chicken meat, carrots, potatoes...just Google for recipes.

From the bones and leavings, you have a stock for soup, perhaps a minestrone.

Hope this helps.

Catseye said:
choclatechef said:
Red bean and rice; Black beans and cornbread; Butter beans sliced tomatoes and corn on the cob -- Foods of the gods!

Choclatechef, I guess you know Louis Armstrong used to sign his letters "Red Beans and Ricely Yours"? :)

Also, while I've got you, so to speak, I have a vague recollection that you were recently looking for African-American cooks for a project of yours ... am I right about this, or did I dream it? At the time I wracked my brain to think of the name of a cook (not sure you could rightly call her a chef) and cookbook author who has fab recipes and a cozy, appealing writing style. The other day I was poring through a file and I found her: Edna Lewis. Do you know her?

Know her, love her, and I have 3 of her cookbooks! Love me some Edna Lewis!

I would think she would be considered a chef because she has more than 50 years in the food industry, cooked for a prominent restaurant which had a large celebrity clientele for years before I even started cooking seriously! And I am old. This is before cooking became glamourous in the industry and chefs became high paid celebrities.

What I was doing was researching [just for the fun of it] Soul Food and African American chefs/cooks.

I also have a modest soul food cookbook collection, and I am always looking for ones I do not have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom