"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Infused Olive Oil

My wife and I went to Australia last year and purchased some LIME infused EVOO and Caramelised Balsamic Vinegar, which we mainly used at the start of a meal, mixed, and dipped with some good fresh bread. Absolutely delicious! As always these things run out. We cannot find any LIME infused EVOO anywhere to ship to the UK.
Can anyone tell me if they have successfully made any themselves and if so - how?
Thank you

Old 02-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Honey Badger

Hiya,

You could start here on this forum.Try looking in the condiments section.

Infusing Olive Oil with other flavours?

Munky.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

My father infuses olive oil with various hot peppers. I love it. In fact, I'm addicted to it. If anyone is a spicy food lover, I highly recommend trying it. I'm a big fan of the fruity habanero taste.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Head Chef

I like to put roast garlic cloves and fresh rosemary sprigs in olive oil and then use it as a dipping sauce for bread - yum.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanS2323 View Post
My father infuses olive oil with various hot peppers. I love it. In fact, I'm addicted to it. If anyone is a spicy food lover, I highly recommend trying it. I'm a big fan of the fruity habanero taste.
AlanS -

Did your father have a specific process other then just putting the raw peppers into the oil? I love spicy (and hot) and always looking for more ways to gain it in my cooking.

Bob
Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Master Chef

Oil infused with any fresh herb or vegetable like garlic, basil, peppers, etc can be contaminated with botulism.

Always keep infused oil refrigerated and use or throw away within 10-14 days after you make it.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I do this all the time. I previously added the seasoning directly to the oil, but it was a pain when it would get caught in the bar pouring stopper. Now, I put all the seasoning in one of those metal things that are used for tea. I heat up the oil for a while and when it cools, I put the oil and the tea holder in a sealed jar for a couple about a week, then pour it in the bottle and use it. This also stops the seasonings for getting moldy. I used crushed Red Peppers for one, and Italian Seasoning and Minced Garlic for the other.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Honey Badger

Here's a great link explaining how you can safely make your own infused oils and vinegars.Dipping Oils and Vinegars: How to Safely Prepare Homemade Infused Mixes | DoItYourself.com

It also gives you other alternatives for making flavored oils,without using the infusion steps.

It's a great article,well written,very informative.Especially helpful if your just starting out experimenting making your own flavored oils.Or for those that are looking for something different.Like me..

Munky.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I do this all the time. I previously added the seasoning directly to the oil, but it was a pain when it would get caught in the bar pouring stopper. Now, I put all the seasoning in one of those metal things that are used for tea. I heat up the oil for a while and when it cools, I put the oil and the tea holder in a sealed jar for a couple about a week, then pour it in the bottle and use it. This also stops the seasonings for getting moldy. I used crushed Red Peppers for one, and Italian Seasoning and Minced Garlic for the other.
If your peppers and/or garlic is fresh, yours is not a safe method.