Ingredient Combinations That Just Dont Work for Your Palate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like to make real hamburgers occasionally, too - but cheese melting on meat just doesn't do it for me... :wacko: And when I see things like steak in a blue cheese sauce on a menu? :rolleyes:

More than steak, which I agree, its a shame to sully, I was thinking of things like a lovely blue cheese steak pie or pudding.

I don't like anything flavored with coffee or licorice (anise, fennel, tarragon).

I love raisons in sweets, but not in savory dishes, like rice.

Usually Paual Deens recipes look very good, but she makes a layered salad that includes bananas and raisons along with the ham, cheeses, onions, etc, that looks just awful.

I generally do not like fruits with meats. The two exceptions that I can think of are cranberrys with turkey and chicken with mango. Those two I do enjoy.

Oh I love apples with pork. And couldn't eat a roast pork dinner without home made apple sauce, to which I add a few fresh sage leaves.

Ishbel said:
Oh I love apples with pork. And couldn't eat a roast pork dinner without home made apple sauce, to which I add a few fresh sage leaves.

If I roast any kind of pork, SO reaches for the apple sauce. It's a reflex action, even if I make a sauce with apple brandy and apple cider.

Original question was combos that don't work?

For me it's fish (not shellfish) with Asian food. The combo of soy sauce and fish just revolts me. I like my fish Greek-ified, surprise, surprise.

Tomato and tuna and/or other fish not working? Couldn't live without puttanesca every once in awhile, and my hubby makes a dish with fresh sardines, filleted, blanketed with a sweet-ish sauce made from fresh tomatoes, garlic, oil, and some fresh parsley. All in the oven. The thought didn't do it for me, but I have to admit it's REALLY good.

And, mixing threads here ... it's also really good as a pasta sauce!

Pineapple on pizza is an abomination. Pineapple with gammon slices is another unfortunate combination.

Oddly, I find eggs a weird combination in themselves. Mixed up in an omelette or tortilla is great. But fried eggs, poached eggs, boiled eggs - yaak. The texture of the white is strange and the yolk positively tastes of cholesterol.

I know this is not a popular combination to dislike...but I really cannot stand mint and chocolate together.

But mint and Nutella tastes pretty darn good to me...strangely enough. Further proof that Nutella really does go well with anything (at least in my case).

Snoop Puss said:
Pineapple on pizza is an abomination.
:( Aw, that's my favorite topping! No ham on mine, either. I just love the sweet pineapple with the mozzarela! Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I have to agree with the chocolate and mint, I have never liked that, including the girl scout cookies. What I think doesn't go together is any kind of sweetness, brown sugar, pineapple juice or whatever on meat. I thing it's nasty on ham, pork, chicken, fish, etc. Also, almond extract added to anything at all. It makes food taste like mothballs to me. I will not eat it, Sam I am.

Yakuta said:
Okra or something slimy (anchovies) in a soup

Yakuta? If you're still watching this thread, a quick comment (off the point -- forgive).

Do you know that okra doesn't have to be slimy?! It's one of those things that kids (and adults) just HATE because of the slime, and I was one of those people ... until I moved to Greece and ate okra the way the Greeks fix it. Now I absolutely adore the stuff!

We saute it over here, in olive oil of course. Cook the living daylights out of it until it's brown and even a bit crunchy. No slime in sight, great flavor.

Try it!

Ayrton said:
Do you know that okra doesn't have to be slimy?! It's one of those things that kids (and adults) just HATE because of the slime, and I was one of those people ... until I moved to Greece and ate okra the way the Greeks fix it. Now I absolutely adore the stuff!

Really!!?:ohmy: I never knew such things as "unslimy okras" existed either!! I can't stand the texture but when I think about the flavour itself, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, if they weren't slimy.
Maybe here in Rome they may have the same kind of okra, as the climate is more similar to Greece here... I don't remember seeing okra around the markets, but well of course I never even looked for them either... What are they called in Greek? I may give them a second chance.:rolleyes:

I remembered another pairing I don't particularly care for... curried prawns.
I love prawns and I love just about any curry, but the strong flavour of curry seems to totally bury that of prawn when they come in together.
I much prefer to enjoy prawns with more delicate seasonings.

Seven S said:
i agree that seafood almost always calls for garlic, i find they pair excellently with or without tomatoes, although i will say that in most restaurants and homes, the garlic is overdone and totally overpowers the delicateness of seafood - it should be subtle
I couldn't agree more with you. A hint of garlic and fresh herbs with seafood is wonderful. Anything more than a hint is a waste of otherwise great fishies.

Nice delicate white fish with chili in the sauce.
Sorry for all the mediterenean people on the board but I don't like the taste of lemon or lime with olive oil.
I have very strong feelings against fusion wannabe chefs. The kind of people who seem to randomly add "western" ingredients to a wok and combine them with lemongrass, chili (usualy way too much of it), and oyster or fish sauce and call it a dish. I'd love to see them decide between western or thai cooking. The often half hearted middleroad usually doesn't work for me.

urmaniac13 said:
Really!!?:ohmy: I never knew such things as "unslimy okras" existed either!! I can't stand the texture but when I think about the flavour itself, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, if they weren't slimy.
Maybe here in Rome they may have the same kind of okra, as the climate is more similar to Greece here... I don't remember seeing okra around the markets, but well of course I never even looked for them either... What are they called in Greek? I may give them a second chance.:rolleyes:

I remembered another pairing I don't particularly care for... curried prawns.
I love prawns and I love just about any curry, but the strong flavour of curry seems to totally bury that of prawn when they come in together.
I much prefer to enjoy prawns with more delicate seasonings.

They're called "bamies" in Greek (BAH-mee-ez). They're fresh in the market now, and available frozen all year round. I've only ever eaten frozen, actually, and they're just lovely.

They start out gooey/slimey/sticky/mucous-y, but that quickly disappears as they sautee. Fabulous flavor. We sautee them and then shove them in the pan with potatoes and a whole chicken for Sunday dinner. My son would eat all the bamies if I'd let him ...

Prawns ... lightly/quickly sauteed, preferably still whole in the shell, in a drizzle of olive oil and some cut up ginger and garlic. Amazingly wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom