"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-14-2006, 12:13 PM   #31
Head Chef

Pineapple on pizza is an abomination. Pineapple with gammon slices is another unfortunate combination.

Oddly, I find eggs a weird combination in themselves. Mixed up in an omelette or tortilla is great. But fried eggs, poached eggs, boiled eggs - yaak. The texture of the white is strange and the yolk positively tastes of cholesterol.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #32
Senior Cook

I know this is not a popular combination to dislike...but I really cannot stand mint and chocolate together.

But mint and Nutella tastes pretty darn good to me...strangely enough. Further proof that Nutella really does go well with anything (at least in my case).

Old 09-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Pineapple on pizza is an abomination.
:( Aw, that's my favorite topping! No ham on mine, either. I just love the sweet pineapple with the mozzarela! Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #34
Senior Cook

I have to agree with the chocolate and mint, I have never liked that, including the girl scout cookies. What I think doesn't go together is any kind of sweetness, brown sugar, pineapple juice or whatever on meat. I thing it's nasty on ham, pork, chicken, fish, etc. Also, almond extract added to anything at all. It makes food taste like mothballs to me. I will not eat it, Sam I am.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never understood the mayo/peanut butter combo.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 AM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
Okra or something slimy (anchovies) in a soup
Yakuta? If you're still watching this thread, a quick comment (off the point -- forgive).

Do you know that okra doesn't have to be slimy?! It's one of those things that kids (and adults) just HATE because of the slime, and I was one of those people ... until I moved to Greece and ate okra the way the Greeks fix it. Now I absolutely adore the stuff!

We saute it over here, in olive oil of course. Cook the living daylights out of it until it's brown and even a bit crunchy. No slime in sight, great flavor.

Try it!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Do you know that okra doesn't have to be slimy?! It's one of those things that kids (and adults) just HATE because of the slime, and I was one of those people ... until I moved to Greece and ate okra the way the Greeks fix it. Now I absolutely adore the stuff!
Really!!? I never knew such things as "unslimy okras" existed either!! I can't stand the texture but when I think about the flavour itself, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, if they weren't slimy.
Maybe here in Rome they may have the same kind of okra, as the climate is more similar to Greece here... I don't remember seeing okra around the markets, but well of course I never even looked for them either... What are they called in Greek? I may give them a second chance.

I remembered another pairing I don't particularly care for... curried prawns.
I love prawns and I love just about any curry, but the strong flavour of curry seems to totally bury that of prawn when they come in together.
I much prefer to enjoy prawns with more delicate seasonings.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #38
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S
i agree that seafood almost always calls for garlic, i find they pair excellently with or without tomatoes, although i will say that in most restaurants and homes, the garlic is overdone and totally overpowers the delicateness of seafood - it should be subtle
I couldn't agree more with you. A hint of garlic and fresh herbs with seafood is wonderful. Anything more than a hint is a waste of otherwise great fishies.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #39
Cook

Nice delicate white fish with chili in the sauce.
Sorry for all the mediterenean people on the board but I don't like the taste of lemon or lime with olive oil.
I have very strong feelings against fusion wannabe chefs. The kind of people who seem to randomly add "western" ingredients to a wok and combine them with lemongrass, chili (usualy way too much of it), and oyster or fish sauce and call it a dish. I'd love to see them decide between western or thai cooking. The often half hearted middleroad usually doesn't work for me.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Really!!? I never knew such things as "unslimy okras" existed either!! I can't stand the texture but when I think about the flavour itself, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, if they weren't slimy.
Maybe here in Rome they may have the same kind of okra, as the climate is more similar to Greece here... I don't remember seeing okra around the markets, but well of course I never even looked for them either... What are they called in Greek? I may give them a second chance.

I remembered another pairing I don't particularly care for... curried prawns.
I love prawns and I love just about any curry, but the strong flavour of curry seems to totally bury that of prawn when they come in together.
I much prefer to enjoy prawns with more delicate seasonings.
They're called "bamies" in Greek (BAH-mee-ez). They're fresh in the market now, and available frozen all year round. I've only ever eaten frozen, actually, and they're just lovely.

They start out gooey/slimey/sticky/mucous-y, but that quickly disappears as they sautee. Fabulous flavor. We sautee them and then shove them in the pan with potatoes and a whole chicken for Sunday dinner. My son would eat all the bamies if I'd let him ...

Prawns ... lightly/quickly sauteed, preferably still whole in the shell, in a drizzle of olive oil and some cut up ginger and garlic. Amazingly wonderful.