Ingredients available in UK/Ireland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhlake

Assistant Cook
I have a good friend who lives in Ireland and I was wanting to send her a recipe this afternoon. I haven't got ahold of her yet, so I need to ask you all...do you know if enchilada sauce and corn tortillas are readily available in stores. I am guessing that enchilada sauce may be hard to come by, but I am hoping that corn tortillas are available. And I am assuming a spicy jack is common there as well? I know "spicy" and "ireland" are not very compatible, so I wanted to make sure!

Well, they are certainly available in Scotland and England, so I suspect they will also be available in Eire.

Oh good! Deirdre loves eating mexican food when she comes to the US. About 10 years ago we tried making some dishes while I was there, but there were little to no speciality ingrediants available. She had told me recently however, that there were many more thing available now in the stores.

Zhlake said:
I have a good friend who lives in Ireland and I was wanting to send her a recipe this afternoon. I haven't got ahold of her yet, so I need to ask you all...do you know if enchilada sauce and corn tortillas are readily available in stores. I am guessing that enchilada sauce may be hard to come by, but I am hoping that corn tortillas are available. And I am assuming a spicy jack is common there as well? I know "spicy" and "ireland" are not very compatible, so I wanted to make sure!

If you're referring to " Monterrey Jack" cheese, I doubt you'd ever find it in UK. Use some Wensleydale mixed with cream cheese, or some cheddar and garlic cheese, or you'll probably find an English cheese with hot peppers in it - they /we love the stuff!

Jacks difficult to get in the U.K as supermarkets rarely stock it. However if you live near London it shouldn't be a problem as you can get virtually anything in the city. If I remember righty there is a cheese store in the westend somewhere, convent garden rings a bell but can't be sure. Certainly in that area though.

Yes there is a famous and wonderful cheese shop in Neal's Street, Convent Garden, but thats a heck of a journey from Eire for some cheese, lol! There are actually bigger and better cheese shops....but Covent Garden wins as a location.

There is also an amazing cheesemonger in Bath, and another one in Sherbourne, Dorset. One of them was in the Observer's top three Cheesemongers......but I can't remember which. They are equidistant from our Somerset base, so I go to both!

There are so many things I want to try food-wise when I eentually get to Scotland. I'll put Ian Mellis on my list! Thanks Ishbel!

I can't give you much of a helpful advice as for corn tortillas, as we tried to make them not long ago and didn't come out well (apparantly we used a wrong material... while the recipe called for masa harina, precooked fine cornmeal):ermm: But with proper ingredients and technique, I heard they are not hard to make on your own.

However for the enchilada sauce, making your own with some tomato puree, chopped onion with a dash of ground coriander seed and cumin, plus for the spiciness a desired amount of cayenne pepper if there is no jalapeno to be found, would more than suffice.
And any kind of good cheddar (which should be readily available) shredded would probably be even better than monteley jack, in my own opinion...

Back
Top Bottom