"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I have also heard garlic is not good for dogs either. Here are two site that list a lot of things i didn't know about until my "pretty girl" ate a pan of pasta sauce made with tomato and LOTS of onion...

Dangerous Foods That Dogs Should Never Eat - WebMD Slideshow

Foods You Should Not Feed Your Dog

WOW! These list don't leave much for the poor pooch. They look like they were compiled but the dog food companies.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Note that, for example, fish IN HIGH AMOUNTS is not to be fed. Same for milk products. I never have fed my dogs anything in high amounts, other than dry lamb and rice dog food, which I portion control.

I wouldn't imagine cooked pork would hurt a dog, as long as it isn't a major part of the diet. The article also stated table scraps shouldn't be more than 10% of a dog's diet. Mine, unless they helped themselves, didn't get table scraps. Exceptions being apple cores and broccoli stalks.

I remember the days when my family fed our dogs table scraps, they chewed bones, did not get their teeth cleaned, and I lived in a small town with no leash laws. We had a cocker and an English setter who lived forever.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Table scraps... I come right out and tell people that table scraps are better than a lot of the dog foods out there that are so popular. Like you said, DL, back in the day that's all they got and they did just fine. Of course I wouldn't recommend tossing them a cooked bone like I read yesterday here. Raw yes, cooked no. Cooked bones splinter and tear stomach linings.
That's not to say that some dogs won't do good on anything, but I wish people would wise up to Beneful's marketing ploy. At least Dads and Ol Roy don't claim to be good foods.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
Master Chef

I'm glad to see you mentioned dogs, unlike cats, are, after years of evolution, omnivores as humans are. Cats are carnivores. At least that is what the vet I worked for told me.

If all else fails, talk to your vet. S/He will know your particular pet best. But for a healthy pet, Dawgluver has said what I've been told for decades.

I assume we're talking a basically healthy pet. And I've known some dogs that can eat anything and survive (labs are infamous for this). But, really, buy a decent brand of dry dog/cat food, and save human food for very occasional treats. For one thing it will make any accidents much easier to clean. I mean, really, how much vomit and diarrhea do you truly want to clean up in your pets' life-times?

Anyone who's been through what I have with a dog who ate a bunch of chocolates would never dream of letting one chocolate get out from under their hawk-eye. And let's not forget the time I didn't catch my guests feeding my puppy a rum-rummy-rum cake and I had to have her treated for a major hangover.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

No comment.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

My SO's son (near 40 YO) had an Alaskan Malamute for 18 years. He fed the dog only human food every day of its life. When I say human food, I'm not talking about table scraps. He cooked a separate meal for the dog every night. If he didn't have time, he'd stop by a restaurant and order it a steak dinner. When he went away, he cooked and froze meals for the dog. Dessert every day was M&Ms. 18 years old when he finally gave up the ghost.

According to some, he did everything wrong. How long do you suppose this dog would have lived if he did all the "right things".
Old 09-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
My SO's son (near 40 YO) had an Alaskan Malamute for 18 years. He fed the dog only human food every day of its life. When I say human food, I'm not talking about table scraps. He cooked a separate meal for the dog every night. If he didn't have time, he'd stop by a restaurant and order it a steak dinner. When he went away, he cooked and froze meals for the dog. Dessert every day was M&Ms. 18 years old when he finally gave up the ghost.

According to some, he did everything wrong. How long do you suppose this dog would have lived if he did all the "right things".
Would be interested in applying for SO's son's dog's job.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Would be interested in applying for SO's son's dog's job

Sounds good to me too but he already has a replacement.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #19
Master Chef

I should have specified ... I was talking about small dogs who live inside the house. It is so much harder to house train a dog who is eating human food as opposed to one that is on a dry food diet. It sure as heck is easier to clean up after when they make a mistake. Human food is their treats, and they get some of it now and then. But mostly I like to not be a servant to my dog. I clean enough toilets as it is.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:09 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Like all my dogs Max is fed on a quality dried mix. I give him charcoal biscuits for treats, my wife knows she should not feed him scraps but like last night she did.
Max becomes a rather amazing fartiste