Injecting flavor- plethora of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kookiblob

Assistant Cook
Hey.

I was wondering how injecting meat with syringes work.
Do you inject directly in the center? Would you need to inject all over the place for the flavor to distribute? Are there cons to it? Would you need to let it rest with those flavors inside before cooking? (Like for example, letting it keep in the fridge for several hours after injecting)

Because I had a strange idea pop in my head. :eek:
How would injecting beef with truffle juice work out!? :O
(And also, what is the texture of a fresh black summer truffle?):ROFLMAO:

I've only done it twice; injected a melted butter (Ghee) into a turkey. I shot it into about a dozen places. The second time was a pork roast with a garlic broth, and again I shot it into about a dozen different places. Both times it seemed to work, but the pork roast turned out better than the turkey, which I won't bother to do again.

You might be able to get the same flavor-effect if you rubbed a bit of truffle oil on the meat before cooking or even used a bit of the oil in a marinade. I would think injecting "truffle juice" would be a bit of a strong flavor.

Typically, you stab the injector into the meat and inject as you pull it out, leaving a trail of flavor. Repeat this throughout the piece of meat.

Be sure to use a liquid with no solid particles in it as they will clog the injector.

I've never injected liquid before, but when I inject a mixture of veggies and spices that I've ran through the blender, I inject in several spots. It seems to permeate the meat well this way.

You might be able to get the same flavor-effect if you rubbed a bit of truffle oil on the meat before cooking or even used a bit of the oil in a marinade. I would think injecting "truffle juice" would be a bit of a strong flavor.

Don't you think it depends on the amount of the juice I use? I also am going to add other ingrediants to the mixture injected.

Thanks for all the comments! guess i'll inject into a variety of areas then

Last edited:
One technique is to make as few entry points as possible. This will keep more of the injectable marinade in the muscle.

To accomplish this, insert the needle angled in one direction and inject some marinade, then pull the needle out part of the way and change directions and inject more in another area.

"Cajun Injector" is a popular brand of injectable marinades. Check out this link for more tips. http://www.cajuninjector.com/injecting-techniques.html

If you make your own marinade be very careful about seeds and small particles because they can plug up the needle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom