"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Have you been hurt cooking? (see full question in post 1)
Yes - I have been injured but am not going to change. 20 47.62%
No - never 3 7.14%
Yes and I have changed as a result 19 45.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I have some scars from various burns. I do a lot of canning (pressure and water-bath) and I've probably gotten the most burns from the simple art of cooking jam. My most injurious incident happened when cleaning up. I cut my finger to the bone on a food processor blade during clean up. That required stitches. Unfortunately, it was just days before a trip back to see family in Turkey and since I had to have the stitches removed when I was there, my stinking insurance wouldn't pay the $150 they charged me in Istanbul for the stitch removal. They (insurance) told me that I should have canceled our trip (costing us thousands from canceled airfare) if we had wanted them to pay for the stitch removal. Never a dull moment around here.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Definitevely we should cook with clothes on, not only to prevent injuries but embarissing situations. I can't tell you how stupid I felt when the towel fell off.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vol. I 023.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	8467  

Old 08-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I've burned and cut myself but fortunately never severely. I've been spattered by bacon and other things frying, burned and cut my fingers when I wasn't careful, burned little places on my arms taking cookies, etc from the oven. I wonder if it is possible to do a lot of cooking and never get a scar. I suppose I should have learned by now to be more careful and wear the right protective gear.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfranca View Post
Definitevely we should cook with clothes on, not only to prevent injuries but embarissing situations. I can't tell you how stupid I felt when the towel fell off.....
I can imagine how you felt, but think about how much your guests enjoyed the moment!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #25
Sous Chef

I was using a very flexible fillet knife on partially frozen fish ( I got impatient) and it slipped and went into my hand over an inch deep. No stitches but I had to take antibiotics.

One Thanksgiving everything was working out perfectly. The only thing left was to bring my cranberry sauce out of my overstuffed fridge. In the process, I had to remove a gallon jar of pickled jalapenos. My damp hands allowed the jar to fall directly on my right ankle. In the emergency room, the doctor commented on how the new scar combined with an old scar had formed a cross...

I mail ordered a new knife. In my haste of removing the protective material I pulled it our forcefully, the wrong way and sliced my palm most of the way across and quite deeply. I ran water over it and bound it. Luckily there was no tendon damage. The doctor who stitched it (16 double layers of stitches) wanted to know what type of knife it was because he would like to get one that cut so cleanly!

I've injured my self many times cooking usually due to haste and inattention to what I was doing.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #26
Head Chef

Just minor stuff.... a few cuts and insignificant spatter burns. I use a spatter screen, but you have to take it off to turn things... maybe an idea there for a really creative inventor????

I try to keep my attention on what I'm doing when I'm using a knife, and I keep them sharp.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Never lose eye contact with the blade. Not even for the camera....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	volume II 110.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	8541  
Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

I burn myself almost every time I cook... nothing very major. I chopped off the corner tip of my thumb last year chopping an onion though. I try not to use those super sharp knives anymore.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #29
Senior Cook

I've had some pretty stupid accidents in my beginning restaurant years. Cuts, burns, falls. As a result I am much more careful. Part of my job is to teach Risk Management to our restaurant managers so I must set a good example.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #30
Master Chef

Actually I was taught never look at the blade. And in all the truth every time I do, I cut my self. Was trying to teach this kid how to cut, chopped of tip of my finger few month ago and then I was teaching this other kid to chop, like a week latter and chopped of even more from that same tip. Never happens when i simply chop and do not look. As far as burns goes, I only have one scar from pretty bad burn, otherwise I'm sure I had more, but since there is nothing to show, i do not really remeber them.