"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Have you been hurt cooking? (see full question in post 1)
Yes - I have been injured but am not going to change. 20 47.62%
No - never 3 7.14%
Yes and I have changed as a result 19 45.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
Injured while cooking - poll

The other day I was searing some eggplant in a pan and has some water kick up a splatter of olive oil. It hit me just below my eyebrow and a had a small burn there. This is the second time I've been hit by flying fat from a pan in the last few years. I got to wondering how common cooking injuries are.

Should we wear eye protection when cooking? Shoes? Do you ever cook with out a shirt on or gotten your hair caught in a mixer?

Have you ever been injured cooking when some some basic protective gear would have prevented an injury?

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Master Chef
Site Moderator
I have been spattered with grease like that before, I have also sliced myself while chopping veggies, grabbed hot pan handles, and grabbed shot baking sheets. So far that's been it *KNOCK-ON-WOOD*

I use a splatter screen now when cooking but that's about it.

Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Cuts and burns are the bane of any cook's existence.

I cut myself occasionally when I get careless. Seldom really badly but I did once when I lived alone. I'm sure if you could have seen a video of my trying to bandage it while trying to keep it from bleeding would have had you in stitches.

No serious burns but I get them all the time. I've developed routines that keep me from grabbing a pan handle that has been in the oven.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Master Chef
Like most of us who have been cooking for years, I've had my share of injuries too........most aren't too memorable.

I guess the worst one was 30+ years ago and I was nine months pregnant.
I had a huge pot full of cooked pasta and when I poured it into the colander inside the sink, the boiling water sloshed out all over my very pregnant belly. I had blisters all over it. He was born the next day, hard to explain to the hospital staff.
Then there was the time I sliced off the side of my little finger, complete with fingernail on the Mandolin.

I've been very careful doing those tasks since then.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Master Chef
Site Administrator
It seem the only time I cut my fingers is when I am cutting tomatoes or lemons... just to make the whole getting cut thing better.

Usually just trying to go too fast or letting attention slip.
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Cuts and burns...none serious enough to head to the ER. I keep bandaids, finger cots, latex gloves, etc handy. And nothing helps a burn like ice ...a dish of ice water asap!

I keep my knives sharp, I wear shoes, and proper clothing, and I never lick a beater still attached to the mixer.

Don't rush, don't worked distracted.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
Head Chef
You guys got nothing on me.

In 2005, while doing an all-night smoke of a pork butt, imbibing too much, had guests over earlier, someone left a pack of Marlboro's on my deck table. Hadn't had a cigarette in a long time. Around midnight I lit one up, MAJOR nicotine spinout compounded by the alcohol.

I got up to check the smoker temp, tripped and knocked it over, fell into the coals and could not get up.

3rd degree burns, skin hanging in chards. Surgery for skin grafts.

Now when the smoker is fired up, I approach it with extreme prejudice.

Stupid as it gets.

Been cooking for 30 years, don't remember the last time I cut myself with a knofe.
qmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Head Chef
Many many cuts and burns, and since i like to document things, i have the pics to prove it. I wont post the gory details, but some of them were kinda ugly, and im still alive to talk about it
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
Sous Chef
I have numerous burnt marks on my right arm. Sign of cooking with lots of oils.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer
I had a friend who used to say there are two types of cooks, those who get burned and those who get cut. I must be one of the lucky ones who falls into both categories. The majority of scars on my body are from cooking. My hands have scars both from being cut with knives and being burned by my own stupidity.

For the poll I chose Yes and I have changed as a result, but I could have also picked the yes, but I won't change option as well and both of those answers apply to me depending on the circumstance.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote