Input on Organic Blue Agave sweetener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi all,

I just bought some of this stuff that claims to be a low glycemic organic sweetener. I guess I'll know more when I use it in my coffee in the morning. I'm not diabetic so that's not the reason I bought it. It just caught my eye at the grocery store.

Has anyone ever used it or had any experience with it?

Last edited:
It is Katie - I've never seen it either until today. The brand is Wholesome, Texas-based distributor, product of Mexico. I tasted just a tad. It was really sweet but I can see where it would be good. No artificial flavor at all, if you know what I mean.

I think it was about $5.99, the receipt is under a bunch of raw chicken wrappings and I'm not going "fishing" :LOL: It's 11.75 ounces. It is labeled "light". It says it is a natural sweetener extracted from the heart of the blue agave plant and is slowly absorbed preventing spikes in blood sugar levels. It's 1 1/4 x sweeter than sugar and has been consumed for over 5,000 years. It's like honey but more runny - kind if like maple syrup, I guess.

Organic Blue Agave Nectar (Light) is the only thing on the ingredient list.

I think you have 16 more available questions :LOL:

I use regular agave nectar. It has about the same calories as sugar, but like you mentioned it's low on the GI. It has less carbohydrates which make it a bit more friendly for low-carbers.

I prefer stevia now, been using it in my coffee (I used to put a tablespoon of sugar in my coffee!) It has helped me give up my sugar addiction!

Agave Nectar? When combined with water, honey, orange and lime juice/zest, it ferments into a very tasty beverage! :angel:

:) I'm thinking it might be a good substitute for honey in things like Baklava and other honey based treats for people who get migraine head aches triggered by honey

Back
Top Bottom