Input on Untried Side-dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmontg34

Cook
Hi All,

I am planning my menu for the Christmas dinner for this year, and I wanted some opinions on a potential side-dish. The catch is...I've never actually made it, but I have a general idea of how it would turn out. Basically, it would be a warm kale salad, with toasted garlic, dried cranberries, pine nuts, and an apple cider vinaigrette. The rest of the menu will include prime rib, ham, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, Brussels sprouts, carrots, and rolls. Thoughts on this? There is a vegetarian attending, so I want there to be a variety of sides for him to enjoy.

I think it sounds good and would go well with your menu. If you're concerned, you could make a small version sometime in the next week to try it out, but I think it would be fine.

I think it sounds good and would go well with your menu. If you're concerned, you could make a small version sometime in the next week to try it out, but I think it would be fine.

That's what I'm thinking I might do. I'm sure it wouldn't taste bad per se, but whether or not it's good enough to include with the dinner is up in the air. Maybe I'll just pick up the stuff the next time I'm at Whole Foods and try it out. :)

Sounds great! I've purchased one like it at our "whole foods" store and it's really good. The Ogre won't eat it so I don't ever fix it from scratch.

I made a warm kale salad a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine does not eat raw kale...but took some of this home! I took 1/2 of the kale, heated that for about 4 minutes, and then mixed in the rest of the kale, massaged the vinaigrette and the kale.

The ingredients:

• 1 bunch curly kale (ribs removed, chopped)
  • 2 T sliced almonds (toasted in dry pan)
  • 1 small yellow pepper (julienned)
  • 1 small orange pepper (julienned)
  • 3 radishes (sliced thinly)
  • seeds from 1/2 pomegranate
  • juice from 1/2 lemon
  • lemon zest
  • EVOO
  • S&P

• PREPARE KALE SALAD

1. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tsp EVOO. When hot, add½ of chopped kale. Cook for 4 minutes until kale starts to wilt.

2. In a small jar, combine EVOO, lemon juice, zest, S&P.Shake.

3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine warmed kale, raw kale,dressing.

4. Massage kale for 2-3 minutes. Add peppers and radishes, toss. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and toasted almonds.
I didn't take a picture of the salad by itself, but here it is with roast pork tenderloin and potato pancakes.

Attachments

• Nov 14 plate 1-1 (3).jpg
    Nov 14 plate 1-1 (3).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 188
I made a warm kale salad a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine does not eat raw kale...but took some of this home! I took 1/2 of the kale, heated that for about 4 minutes, and then mixed in the rest of the kale, massaged the vinaigrette and the kale.

4. Massage kale for 2-3 minutes. Add peppers and radishes, toss. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and toasted almonds.

That's a first for me. I've massaged people, dogs, and meats but never kale. :huh:

That's a first for me. I've massaged people, dogs, and meats but never kale. :huh:
[/FONT][/COLOR] [/FONT][/COLOR]
Nor had I, but I read/heard that someplace and thought, why not give it a try. What surprised me was that my friend who DOES NOT like raw kale loved the salad. We did think that the juice from 1/4 or 1/3 lemon would work, but I had a really BIG lemon. We were in the kitchen playing with some of our recipes to see if we could get them down to 30-35 minutes for the company for which I cook for the food photographer. I liked the kale salad, she wanted a cabbage dish, but I thought for non-European folks, the salad would be more appealing. We did both.

Last edited:
Nor had I, but I read/heard that someplace and thought, why not give it a try. What surprised me was that my friend who DOES NOT like raw kale loved the salad. We did think that the juice from 1/4 or 1/3 lemon would work, but I had a really BIG lemon. We were in the kitchen playing with some of our recipes to see if we could get them down to 30-35 minutes for the company for which I cook for the food photographer. I liked the kale salad, she wanted a cabbage dish, but I thought for non-European folks, the salad would be more appealing. We did both.

I don't like raw kale either so I'm willing to give the massaging a try. I'll do it when Steve isn't in the kitchen or he'll want equal time. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom