Insomnia Eats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
msmofet, msmofet, msmofet........

Having to go further than your refrigerator for something just fantastic to eat is impossible for me to even entertain in my imagination.

You cook the most incredibly, fantastic meals that your husband having to leave your home to find "quik-food" is just unbelievable to me! Teach that man to reach into the freezer, take out one of msmofets deluxe, fantastic, awesome meals in plastic and nuke it!

Has he not seen your photos? (I'm very sorry of he's blind and has never SEEN one of your meals.)

I would crawl though a mile a broken glass, just to be able to enjoy one of your meals, and this man is going "out"? The shame of it!:ROFLMAO:
Thank you for the kind words Tim.

The sad or happy fact is that I cook for 4 people and have pretty much got the servings perfect. There is rarely any left overs to put in the fridge or freezer. The only time I have leftovers are when I make a things like soup, chili and 1 or 2 other things but they never make it to the freezer because they usually only last 2 days.

I just can't imagine going out to grab something to eat in the wee hours period, even if anything was open around here. It seems you would be more wide awake than you already are.
When you work nights going out at 1 AM is to get lunch. Like a day worker would run to the deli or BK for lunch at 1 PM.

ed zachary, mofet.

a steak, spud, and a beer are not unheard of at 8am when i get home, just as if it were 6pm for a 9 to 5'er.

when you have a family, making noise in the kitchen at 1am isn't nice, and expecting a spouse to cook for you, even ahead if time for those hours, is asking a lot.

Last edited:
Ahh.... gotcha!
We have nothing open here that late. We could use some of your institutions ;)

We have a diner that is open 24/7 in Boston. It is where the chefs go to eat when they get off from work. Lumpy potatoes, fresh veggies cooked until they are "done." It is located where to look at the area, you would think it isn't even safe during daytime. It has typical diner food. The floor needs a really good sweeping, the ketchup bottle and salt and pepper shakers need to be moved when the table is being wiped off, but every table has those record players that you put a coin in and flip the pages to make a selection. You can chalk all that is wrong with this diner up to "atmosphere." And I love it. When I worked in the area, I went there every day for lunch. It is a Boston institution. :chef:

We have a diner that is open 24/7 in Boston. It is where the chefs go to eat when they get off from work. Lumpy potatoes, fresh veggies cooked until they are "done." It is located where to look at the area, you would think it isn't even safe during daytime. It has typical diner food. The floor needs a really good sweeping, the ketchup bottle and salt and pepper shakers need to be moved when the table is being wiped off, but every table has those record players that you put a coin in and flip the pages to make a selection. You can chalk all that is wrong with this diner up to "atmosphere." And I love it. When I worked in the area, I went there every day for lunch. It is a Boston institution. :chef:

well now, it looks like we have places for insomniacs to get their fix, at institutions such as bt's new jersey hot grill and addie's all night diner in boston. do we have any other "institutions" out there in dc land?

My mom also worked graveyard so I grew up having "dinner" food such as eggplant or chicken parm for breakfast. LOL My hub, girls and I enjoy having "breakfast" food for dinner and visa versa. Even when we go out in the morning to a diner or IHOP we like to order off the lunch/dinner menu in the morning.

We have LOTS of 24/7 diners and fast food places (mostly McDonald's and Burger King's have drive-thru 24/7 windows) in New Jersey. We even have some supermarkets (Pathmark and Shop-Rite) open 24/7.

My mom also worked graveyard so I grew up having "dinner" food such as eggplant or chicken parm for breakfast. LOL My hub, girls and I enjoy having "breakfast" food for dinner and visa versa. Even when we go out in the morning to a diner or IHOP we like to order off the lunch/dinner menu in the morning.

We have LOTS of 24/7 diners and fast food places (mostly McDonald's and Burger King's have drive-thru 24/7 windows) in New Jersey. We even have some supermarkets (Pathmark and Shop-Rite) open 24/7.

I kinda find it fun to switch the order of meals once in awhile. It breaks up the monotony. Breakfast for supper and supper for breakfast. I just love an omelet for supper!

From April until November, I worked from about 2:00 a.m. until 10: a.m. to accommodate the others on the team who lived in Eastern Europe. Readjusting my sleep pattern wasn't that hard--I'm more of a nocturnal person anyway, but the eating schedule was really hard. I would eat breakfast around 3:00 a.m. (eggs!), my lunch at 8:30 a.m., supper at noon-1:00 p.m., nap until 5:30, eat a snack around 6:30 p.m. and go to bed around 8:30 p.m. Weekends were hard because I wanted to be up normal hours, but woke up at 3:00 a.m. starving. It has taken almost 2 months to get back to a normal schedule--but I still wake up at 4:30-5:00 a.m. and I'm HUNGRY.

Last edited:
When you work nights going out at 1 AM is to get lunch. Like a day worker would run to the deli or BK for lunch at 1 PM.

This is true, but if you are truly suffering from insomnia my point was that going out and driving to a diner might not help you to get to sleepy.
Now if you simply can't sleep because you are used to being awake that time of day, then that's different. Go out grab something to eat, come home and fix a big breakfast for your family as they are waking up. :chef:

I just can't imagine going out to grab something to eat in the wee hours period, even if anything was open around here. It seems you would be more wide awake than you already are.

If it were me I'd be looking for warm milk, or maybe milk chocolate but considering that chocolate is to some or during some times a stimulant.

I have a lot of insomnia problems. I'd go with the warm milk. Maybe tea with honey but tea can stimulate too, maybe tea in the early evening, but only warm milk late at night.

Last edited:
I'm awake (hunger pains woke me). I'm waiting for the last bit of Pozole to heat up in the microwave. I'm like Pavlov's dog--I start drooling when I hear the sound of the microwave...

I'm awake (hunger pains woke me). I'm waiting for the last bit of Pozole to heat up in the microwave. I'm like Pavlov's dog--I start drooling when I hear the sound of the microwave...

THINK CHICKEN!!! That will stop those hunger pangs. Okay, I am ducking. :LOL:

I did go out and check on them while I waited...no, not craving chicken, just needed a chicken fix (that being, to see the chickens). They were all roosting and wondered "what the heck is she doing here at this hour? We were sleeping...did she bring food...what's this...mashed pears...ummm...."

I did go out and check on them while I waited...no, not craving chicken, just needed a chicken fix (that being, to see the chickens). They were all roosting and wondered "what the heck is she doing here at this hour? We were sleeping...did she bring food...what's this...mashed pears...ummm...."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: a chicken fix!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

couldn't sleep last night. blew diet on cookies. poor impulse control on my part.

note to babe, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and resume diet. lol

All I have to do is think of the consequences of how I will feel. And believe me I do feel it.

When I first became a diabetic, I tried every sugar substitute on the market. They all left a nasty metal taste in my mouth. So I made a determination. I would gladly give up any and all sugar items so that I could have sugar in my coffee. As the baker for the family, I never even lick my fingers, beaters, bowl, or any other item that might have goodies on it. So often someone will say to me, "My uncle is diabetic and he cheats every so often. He doesn't have any bad effects." Well, I am not their uncle, aunt or any other relative to them. I made my choice and live with it. I do not have dessert today, because tomorrow I know I will want that small sliver of pie, half of a candy bar, or whatever is at hand. That doesn't mean that this will work for others. Most likely it will not. But my coffee is my main intake of liquid. I have a cup beside me 24/7. Even when I lay down to sleep.

If you measure out just one packet of sugar into a teaspoon that you would normally use, you will notice that it is a scant spoonful. (if you are lucky) Just enough for me to make me happy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom