"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have found, just lately, if I have a DOUBLE Hot Chocolate (Swiss Miss Dark Choc made with water)with my night meds, my blood sugars are good in the morning. If I try to low carb it...my blood sugars are over 130 in the morning.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have found, just lately, if I have a DOUBLE Hot Chocolate (Swiss Miss Dark Choc made with water)with my night meds, my blood sugars are good in the morning. If I try to low carb it...my blood sugars are over 130 in the morning.
About 1.5 years ago, I was waking in the middle of the night with my sugars spiking sometimes over 300. I was starting to panic. Doc put me on Metformin. Brought the situaton under control. Then after about nine months, the Metformin was making me vomit. Didn't need it anymore. I was keeping my sugars around 110-120. Then everytime I went into the hospital, they would get all screwed up again. It seems that the acceptable numbers for the hospital are a lot higher than they were to me. So they would wait until they were over 200 and then give me insulin by injection. Otherwise they weren't giving me anything for my sugars. As long as they were under 200. Next time I am going to pitch a fit over their acceptance of their numbers. They are wrong for me. And when they are acceptable by their standards, it messes up my A1c.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My original doctor was happy with most of my blood sugars under 150...he wouldn't even consider trying a different medication and working to bring them down more. Since I got a new doctor and started the medication I wanted, my sugars have not gone over 140...and those are the times I've been trying out new snacks, I've been under 110 with those few exceptions for an entire month!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My original doctor was happy with most of my blood sugars under 150...he wouldn't even consider trying a different medication and working to bring them down more. Since I got a new doctor and started the medication I wanted, my sugars have not gone over 140...and those are the times I've been trying out new snacks, I've been under 110 with those few exceptions for an entire month!
Just out of curiosity, was your original doc an older man?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #45
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Just out of curiosity, was your original doc an older man?
No, younger, but I think he got a bit complacent and forgot I was a nurse. Very good at first about making sure I had copies of my labs and testing. This past year I couldn't even get a thumbs up or down on my Pap Smear. And it was miserable trying to get pain medications from him., I have degenerative joint disease in my shoulders and knees and I couldn't take Ibuprofen because of my Plavix, I just wanted something for waking up and going to bed...no go. The new doc got it for me without a problem and now since I'm done with the Plavix I can start back on the Ibuprofen. Very happy about that, it works so well for me.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
No, younger, but I think he got a bit complacent and forgot I was a nurse. Very good at first about making sure I had copies of my labs and testing. This past year I couldn't even get a thumbs up or down on my Pap Smear. And it was miserable trying to get pain medications from him., I have degenerative joint disease in my shoulders and knees and I couldn't take Ibuprofen because of my Plavix, I just wanted something for waking up and going to bed...no go. The new doc got it for me without a problem and now since I'm done with the Plavix I can start back on the Ibuprofen. Very happy about that, it works so well for me.
As I am sure you know, the motto of every doctor is "First I Shall Do No Harm." And to let a patient be in pain is doing harm. When my son graduated from medical school, I embroidered the motto in gold with the double snake thingy. (don't even ask me to spell it in Latin.) He has it hanging all framed in his office at home. It was my graduation present to him.

I have been on Vicodin for about six years now due to an ulcer and graft I had on my leg. It is very painful for me to go up stairs. Can run down backwards. But my son told me it is very difficult to become addicted to pain medication when you are in pain. I get a 14 day supply at a time. But only take them when I know I am going to be doing stairs. So my 14 day supply usually lasts me about three or more weeks. Because they know I am not abusing them, my doctor is not hesitant to renew my script as long as I feel I need it. And as long as there are stairs or ramps I have to go up, I will need them.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #47
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
As I am sure you know, the motto of every doctor is "First I Shall Do No Harm." And to let a patient be in pain is doing harm. When my son graduated from medical school, I embroidered the motto in gold with the double snake thingy. (don't even ask me to spell it in Latin.) He has it hanging all framed in his office at home. It was my graduation present to him.

I have been on Vicodin for about six years now due to an ulcer and graft I had on my leg. It is very painful for me to go up stairs. Can run down backwards. But my son told me it is very difficult to become addicted to pain medication when you are in pain. I get a 14 day supply at a time. But only take them when I know I am going to be doing stairs. So my 14 day supply usually lasts me about three or more weeks. Because they know I am not abusing them, my doctor is not hesitant to renew my script as long as I feel I need it. And as long as there are stairs or ramps I have to go up, I will need them.
This began my quest for a new doctor and I let her know up front why the last doctor failed.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
This began my quest for a new doctor and I let her know up front why the last doctor failed.
PF, are you able to load your meter reading into your computer? I can and then I fax the right to my doctor's computer and he makes them part of my medical record. Nice system.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #49
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
PF, are you able to load your meter reading into your computer? I can and then I fax the right to my doctor's computer and he makes them part of my medical record. Nice system.
Yes, I do that and my Blood pressures too.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

You shoundn't eat late at night (although I have to admit that those hotdogs look awesome. You should focus more on whole grains, fruits, herbal teas, stews and soups :)