"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

calories are calories, it doesn't matter when you eat them. your suggestion about whole grains etc, is a wise one. but if i want a hot dog, they just won't do

Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #52
Executive Chef

it does matter when you eat your calories. your metabolism is not a constant entity--it fluctuates throughout the day, and responds to activity levels.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #53
Master Chef

I avoid eating in my wee hours. Harder to stay away from is alcohol, although I'm doing pretty good at that in the past few years. It's hard to stay away from when you've had 2 hours of sleep and want to get a few more before sunrise. Even with the very real knowledge (both from reading and experience) that self-medicating with alcohol only exacerbates the problem in the long run.

When trying to avoid pouring a drink at 3 a.m., I learned that something starchy (ramen noodles come to mind, or Liptons with macaroni tossed in) would sooth me back to sleep. Uh-Oh. Ironically, the hootch didn't put the pounds on the way those extra noodles did. Now I just try to do boring chores (laundry comes to mind) and read. Sometimes I come here, but computers are not soothing (before internet, I'd write (longhand) a lot; long letters, etc.). But now there's no point to it because no one writes at all any more, so it's like talking to a wall.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
calories are calories, it doesn't matter when you eat them. your suggestion about whole grains etc, is a wise one. but if i want a hot dog, they just won't do
I'm sorry to disagree with you but calories are NOT calories, or at least they are not some common denominator or currency that all food consumption can be reduced to just calories.

Nor can you reduce it to just carbohydrates, protein and fats. Our diet is far more complex than that, and it matters too when we eat them and in what combination.

Perhaps you meant that it's wise to consider food cravings that when you have them it's good to find healthy ways to satisfy them.

Or maybe I'm just putting too much into considering your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
When trying to avoid pouring a drink at 3 a.m., I learned that something starchy (ramen noodles come to mind, or Liptons with macaroni tossed in) would sooth me back to sleep.
I didn't even want to address that. I think it's vitally important to adjust our diet and what time of day we consume specific food groups, although I'm too tired tonight to address that. Perhaps tomorrow when I'm on my breakfast/coffee curve I'll feel more inclined to discuss time of day and what foods are best.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #55
Master Chef

Yeah, believe me, I know, both options are wrong and have been successfully avoiding them for quite awhile now (as in years). The thing is, since I don't have to work any more, I just say screw it. If I'm up all night, I'm up all night. Not the end of the world. When I had to get up and go to work before dawn, I neither ate nor drank (besides water or tea) and managed to get by on 3-4 hours of sleep a night for weeks on end. But I'm way too old to get by on that now. But, then, most of the time I don't have to do much. I mean, I love my morning exercise classes, but if I miss them it just makes insomnia worse, so I get off my butt most of the time! But if I decide I'm not awake enough, I can live with that. But my librarians DO often wonder how I manage to read 3-5 books/week. Ha! You spend the time I do at night reading!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #56
Executive Chef

I just didn't want to address that. I have a serious insomnia problem. I can't do anything, particularly consuming food or anything else, without considering what impact it has on my problem. It may seem ironic but I'm just to tired tonight to come up with a well considered reply to why its important to consider time of day when deciding what to consume. It's not much past 7 p.m. tonight local and nothing but water will pass my lips until tomorrow morning. If I just absolutely had to consume something it would be warm milk or chicken broth.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

I am on my night schedule. Nights are my days, and days are my nights. The only way I can get back to the schedule the rest of the world is on, is to have daytime appointments. So right now I will be up for the rest of the night. I will make a small meal for my self, do some cleaning, reading and other activities. I am retired and I can have any schedule that my body gives me. Even for eating. When I really want something to eat that will be satisfing I usually want protein. And that is mostly meat. I try to listen to my body. It tells me what I am missing. Last week it was vegggies. Every time I combed my hair, there were hairs on it. That tells me I need my veggies. No more hair loss.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

man, you guys (except addie's last entry) are just a party waiting to happen.

NOT!

try working my schedule and then tell me (without a lecture) of what and when to eat. my guess is you'd fold faster than superman on wash day.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
man, you guys (except addie's last entry) are just a party waiting to happen.

NOT!

try working my schedule and then tell me (without a lecture) of what and when to eat. my guess is you'd fold faster than superman on wash day.
I used to work very strange and long hours, when I was in IT, food was our substitute for sleep and it was always our reward from the guys in the corner office. Now because I don't work and live alone I sleep when I feel like it and eat when I feel like it. I actually enjoy going out to eat at 3:00 AM when the city is just going to sleep and yet just waking up. Some of the best grill men in the world only seem to work the 3rd shift and I don't want to know why. We all need to do what is right for us, to the extent that it is possible. Oh, in case anyone is keeping track, I am from the camp that believes a calorie is a calorie.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #60
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, a calorie is a calorie, it's the same amount of energy whether you get it from fruits, veggies, protein, fat, carbs...the kicker is, you can have a larger serving of lean proteins and veggies and feel full longer than with servings of carbs and fats. Fruits do take a bit longer to digest and your body to utilize d/t to the conversion of fructose to glucose in your system and the fiber involved makes you feel fuller, too.

Since I no longer work nights, I am still having issues of when I get hungry, even a year later. 11 years on night shift...it wasn't until I moved to dayshift that my health problems started.

It's important for you to decide if you are really hungry or just eating to kill time while you are awake at odd hours. If you are really hungry...eat!