Invert Sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ixirockx

Assistant Cook
I've been reading about invert sugar syrups lately. I have a few questions. Is invert syrup really sweeter than regular sugar (so I could reduce the amount of sugar in a recipe)? Is corn syrup an invert syrup? How can I make invert sugar syrup? Thanks

An example of an inverse sugar, simple syrup, can be made at home by bringing one cup of water and two cups of granulated sugar to a boil, then reducing the heat and simmering for 5-7 minutes until the mixture is clear. The simple sugar solution can be stored for up to six months.

According to Wikipedia, the term "inverse sugar" refers to the way planes of light rotate within the solution. Normal sugars rotate left to right, while invert sugars rotate right to left. Since physics was never my forté, if someone can explain that better, please feel free.

Another example of invert sugar would be honey. Making a jam, with the interaction of the sugar and acid from the fruit, would make a kind of invert sugar. Since they're liquid, yes, you could theoretically reduce the sugar, but you would also have to find somewhere to reduce the total liquid as well.

a simple way to explain it is to imagine the Molecule itself and think of them like your hands.

both your hards are the same, except one is left the other is right.
place your hands on the table with your thumbs pointing left, now they are not the same you see the top of one hand and the palm of the other.

it`s a Mirror image, both are the same, but one is a mirror of the other.
the same applies to the shape of the molecule :)

heres one that will bake your noodle!
carraway and mint taste entirely different, they even smell different. and yet they are Chemicaly Identical!
with the difference that one is a "Right hand" molecule, the Other is a "Left hand" molecule :)

Last edited:
indeed, the process of converting a Disachride into 2 monosachrides that are stereoisomers of each other (the mirror thing).

C12H22O11 + H2O (and catalyst) -> C6H12O6 + C6H12O6

we can ignore the catalyst here as a simple spectator proton doner..

Ok, what about a "dry-vert" sugar? I remember hearing about that in college. I may have pull my pastry textbook out and see if it's mentioned in there.

Back
Top Bottom