Iodized salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I see loads of recipes that specify "kosher salt". I understand why one wants pickling salt, which has no additives, for pickling. Do people really find a noticeable difference in taste. Does no one remember/know why iodine was added to salt?

Iodine is a micronutrient. It can be hard to come by. Lack of iodine can cause thyroid problems, obvious when someone get goiter. Lack of iodine can cause mental retardation. In the U.S., naturally occurring iodine is hard to come by in the Great Lakes region.

Here's a Wikipedia article about iodized salt.

There is enough iodized salt in most foods to give you your daily dose of iodine. Most of us eat way too much salt, even if we leave it off the table.

There is enough iodized salt in most foods to give you your daily dose of iodine. Most of us eat way too much salt, even if we leave it off the table.

Are you sure the stuff in processed foods is iodized? Iodine or one of its salts is an ingredient listed on iodized table salt. I can't remember ever seeing iodine as an ingredient in processed foods.

And some of us don't eat much in the way of processed foods.

Are you sure the stuff in processed foods is iodized? Iodine or one of its salts is an ingredient listed on iodized table salt. I can't remember ever seeing iodine as an ingredient in processed foods.

And some of us don't eat much in the way of processed foods.

Been looking around, most salt used in processed foods is not iodized. Makes me glad I'm taking my daily multi-vitamin. You need 150mcg/day of iodine to avoid iodine deficiency and 220 mcg if you are pregnant or nursing. Children need it daily, too.

I also read that more deficiencies are being noted in the general population, because of reducing salt intake for health reasons. Shrek and I are in that population.

A lot of people use kosher salt in cooking and iodized salt at the table. There is nothing keeping from either using iodized salt in cooking or using less kosher salt in cooking and iodized salt at the table.

I use Iodized salt exclusively just to be sure. Many dishes I make, the salt in seasonings is enough to taste right without adding more, but I make enough dishes using regular Iodized salt that I don't think I would have any deficiency.

For more information see: Medline Plus

Food sources for Iodine:

Iodized salt -- table salt with iodine added -- is the main food source of iodine. Seafood is naturally rich in iodine. Cod, sea bass, haddock, and perch are good sources. Kelp is the most common vegetable seafood that is a rich source of iodine. Dairy products also contain iodine. Other good sources are plants grown in iodine-rich soil.

I used nothing but iodized salt until I was 55 years old, and I still developed thyroid problems. Now, I use either sea salt or Kosher salt exclusively. Yes, I can tell the taste difference.

So much for iodized salt and florinated water (I wear dentures).

I used nothing but iodized salt until I was 55 years old, and I still developed thyroid problems. Now, I use either sea salt or Kosher salt exclusively. Yes, I can tell the taste difference.

So much for iodized salt and florinated water (I wear dentures).

Fluoridation helps prevent tooth decay in children, provided they get enough Vitamin D and Calcium. It raises rates of heart disease in adults. Don't get me started.

I am at risk for thyroid disease because of heredity and so far I've mirrored my mother much to closely. So I am making sure my iodine intake is good and I get tested once a year.

As for fluoridation, Missoula does not fluoridate their water, I'm not missing it. Unfortunately, I inheirited my father's bad teeth, they are going bye-bye on the 17th.

I gave up table salt and most salt in recipes a few years ago for obvious reasons, but I use a salt substitute recipe that uses "kelp powder" as one of its ingredients, which contains Iodine. Best of both worlds.

I have the exact story of Selkie....

I had been somewhat concerned about my exclusive use of Kosher salt in both cooking, and table salt until I looked on the label of my daily vitamins, and see that I'm getting 100% of what I need. I'm glad of that, because I really prefer Kosher salt and would hate to have to go back to Morton's Iodized salt.

if you take a multi vitamin, check the label...you'll find iodine there; usually 100% rda. In salt it adds a bitter flavor, not a brightness.

I was just at the store and was looking for salt substitute (before my doc kills me) , found it...also got another bag of sea salt that is rated Kosher.

I was looking for the salt substitute mentioned above with the seaweed powder. Can someone help me out with a brand name? The girl in the store said she'd order it for me.

I can absolutely taste a difference between iodized and non-iodized salt (in certain applications). I use kosher salt exclusively at home.

Iodine was added to salt at a time when people did not get enough from their regular diet. Diets have changed and now most people get plenty of iodine in other foods where they do not need to supplement it with iodized salt.

Do you taste the bitter in food that is cooked with iodized salt?

When I taste coarse salt, it seems to taste saltier than finer salt.

To the contrary, to me table salt tastes more salty. As a matter of fact, Kosher salt is a larger flake, and can't even be used in a normal table salt shaker. Table salt is much denser. I have a very pretty covered salt cellar with a matching spoon for my KS. Perhaps you can't taste the bitterness in table salt, but many people can, including myself.;)

Okay, I'm convinced to try Kosher salt. I picked up a box at the store today. Now, are there dishes you use this in especially?

Back
Top Bottom