"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Irish Recipes that Aren't Corned Beef and Cabbage

I realized what day it is, and remembered that St. Patrick's Day is coming up. Then, I thought to myself, "Do I have to make corned beef and cabbage?" Of course, I could ignore the holiday and make whatever I want if I weren't part Irish (I'm Rob Perini from the Clan Perini...I wonder if anyone gets that reference?) But, rather than racking my brain trying to figure out a fitting tribute that's less boring, I found this:

Irish Recipes For St. Patrick's Day That AREN'T Corned Beef And Cabbage | The Huffington Post

In other words, the above picture isn't mine (you can tell because it's properly lit and it looks tasty). I do have some potatoes that I have yet to make into something, and it seems that every recipe here uses them.

I did consider trying to make an exciting take on corned beef and cabbage. But, it's too cold in Michigan to leave the windows open to ventilate the house.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't make corned beef or cabbage because I don't like them, and of course, they aren't actually Irish. I'm going to make a real Irish dinner - pan-seared herb-crusted lamb chops, roasted potatoes and a salad (that last might not be traditionally Irish, but it goes well with the rest ). And I'll make extra potatoes for boxty. I made it for the first time a couple years ago; need to make it again.

That apple cake sounds good. Maybe I'll make that, too.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Corned beef and cabbage on March 17th is an Irish-American tradition. Nothing to do with Ireland at all.

BTW, that was our dinner last night. I make that dinner because I like corned beef for its other uses like hash or reuben sandwiches. I often buy corned beef on sale and make it later in the year not as part of a 'boiled dinner'.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Corned beef and cabbage on March 17th is an Irish-American tradition. Nothing to do with Ireland at all.
Yes, that's what I said. A lot of people do think it's Irish, though.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Give med champs or colcannon with bangers and Guinness and I am happy. My husband just want potato farls, bacon , eggs and black pudding and he is happy.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

BTW, that was our dinner last night. I make that dinner because I like corned beef for its other uses like hash or reuben sandwiches. I often buy corned beef on sale and make it later in the year not as part of a 'boiled dinner'.
That's what we did yesterday. Just enough corn beef left over for two sandwiches. We had three taters and just two carrots. The carrots were for me. I also tossed in a small piece of cabbage for me also. I bought a small CB only because I didn't want a lot of leftovers.

I might buy one on the 18th for the freezer. They will still be on sale.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
Master Chef

A few years ago I created a St. Patrick's Day Brunch for the Amoretti Test Kitchen blog. Take a look and help yourself to any recipes you find interesting. All the recipes were made (by me) and served to the Amoretti employees on St. Patrick's Day. It took me 5 houirs and I worked my butt off all by my lonesome because my sous chef called in sick, so I hope you enjoy the fruits of my labor!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
Master Chef

Bubble and Squeak!!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
A few years ago I created a St. Patrick's Day Brunch for the Amoretti Test Kitchen blog. Take a look and help yourself to any recipes you find interesting. All the recipes were made (by me) and served to the Amoretti employees on St. Patrick's Day. It took me 5 houirs and I worked my butt off all by my lonesome because my sous chef called in sick, so I hope you enjoy the fruits of my labor!
This looks absolutely beautiful...I love the idea of a brunch! My eyes immediately went to those spinach pancakes (need to find some Dubliner cheese!) Thanks for posting!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I wouldn't go as far as to say boiled corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes isn't entirely Irish.

The preparation and 2/3rds of the ingredients certainly are. It's just that the corned beef is American. In Ireland, a ham joint would have been boiled instead.

Also, there would always be 2 veggies with the potatoes (at least).

Tags
beef, cabbage, corn, corned beef, recipe, recipes