"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Is a pound 450 grams or 500 grams?

I feel like when places charge you for food by the pound, a pound is 450.
But when you want to make a recipe at home or something it's 500.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Roughly 1lb is about 453grams. Unless I need to specify exactly, I would just say 1kg = slightly more than 2lb, or 1/2kg = a little more than a pound, which in most cases suffice.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Why is 500 used then?

At school we are brought up using 1 kg as 2.2 lbs
Old 09-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I don't know who said 1lb = 500g, but your education is correct, 1kg is just about the same as 2,2lbs. If you want to be more exact, I would go for 450grams rather than 500, but in many cases depending on the recipe, just using a 1/2kg of something wouldn't hurt when the recipe says 1lb.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
Head Chef

In Canada all our foods are portioned in pounds, so I don't know how I would find a kilogram measurement.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
Executive Chef

http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/

Well I am accustomed to using both measures, once you get it in your head

1lb = 450g
1oz = 28g
you learn to do the conversion in your head quickly after a little practice
Old 09-16-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
500 grams to a pound is just a handy rule of thumb. But understand that it's 10% extra. That won't make any difference when you're preparing a stew or a soup or a casserole -- 1 pound of beef vs. 1 pound 1.6 ounces, or 1 cup of chopped potatoes vs. 1 cup plus 1.5 tablespoons -- but it could be a problem in baking, where proportions of ingredients are more critical.

If you're worried about it, buy a good electronic scale (look for Salter brand), which will convert grams to pounds and vice versa at the press of a button.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/

Well I am accustomed to using both measures, once you get it in your head

1lb = 450g
1oz = 28g
you learn to do the conversion in your head quickly after a little practice
I know conversions, no problem.
It just that one thing I've always wondered.
When you go to school and you hear alot of drug talk, you learn a little bit too. So i know how pounds and grams
and ounces work
But I took cooking classes in grade 9, 10 and 11. So I know this stuff.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Well, it's kind of like how folks over here in the US like to use even, "round", numbers, like 350°F, or 1 lb. Over in other parts of the world where metric is used, they like to use "round" numbers as well, so instead of 454 g (what I learned a pound is), they just go with 500 g. Same goes with temperatures. You'll see many metric temperatures for 180°C, which is actually 356°F, not 350°F.

I actually have a webpage that I wrote years ago, with some javascript "calculators" that will convert Temp's, grams and oz., and mL and fl. oz. I'm keeping that stored on my pc's HDD, so that if I come across a recipe with metric measurements, I can convert it to US measurements quickly.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #10
Senior Cook

When Australia went metric 40 years ago, the government provided conversion guidelines. I've followed them ever since, and found it very easy from Day One, even though I'd grown up with Imperial measurements.

The thing you need to remember is ROUNDING, for convenience. This makes for easy divisions. Forget laboratory-style precision measurements, or mathematical accuracy. It isn't needed.

1lb is 500g.

That leads to 250g being half a pound (8 ounces). And cut that in half again, and it leads to 125g (4 ounces).

1oz is 30g. That leads to 1/2 oz being 15g. And 2oz being 60g, and 3 oz being 90g. Then there's a small adjustment, with 4oz being 125g. And so on upwards to 1kg (kilogram) being 1000g being 2lb.

Also - 1 teaspoon is 5g or 5ml.

Not being good at maths, this system works like a dream for me, and for millions of others throughout Australia and the world. It will work for you, too.

It would be a LOT easier on everybody if America just caught up with the rest of the world and went metric. It astonishes me that a country which prides itself on being 'ahead of the rest' could be half a century behind the rest in this area.