"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Wine Guy

Sadly, I think there are more and more people who don't cook. I still remember having a young married couple from our wine club over to dinner a few years back. I think my jaw fell open when the wife said that in the three years they had lived in their house, she had only used the stove a couple of times, and wasn't even sure how to turn on the oven. From what I understand they mostly bought pre-made deli foods, or microwave dinners when they ate at home, which wasn't often. Otherwise they ate out all the time. At that point, I was fairly confident we wouldn't be getting a reciprocal invitation.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Sadly, I think there are more and more people who don't cook. I still remember having a young married couple from our wine club over to dinner a few years back. I think my jaw fell open when the wife said that in the three years they had lived in their house, she had only used the stove a couple of times, and wasn't even sure how to turn on the oven. From what I understand they mostly bought pre-made deli foods, or microwave dinners when they ate at home, which wasn't often. Otherwise they ate out all the time. At that point, I was fairly confident we wouldn't be getting a reciprocal invitation.

I blame it on their parents. Both for the man and woman. How can you not want your child to learn how to be self-sufficient. Get your kids out in the kitchen with you and have them help. Let them know where their food comes from and how it is prepared. When someone asks, "Can you cook?" At least they can answer "A little bit". It will show they are not a complete dummy. At least someone care enough to teach them something. Even to just fry an egg.

Take a look at Andy. He has had his grandson out there in the kitchen with him. Teach your boys that cooking is not just woman's work. Let them know that not all chefs are men. That there are men as well as women in the famous kitchens of the world. Make the kids of today, well-rounded kids. Not everyone is going to be earning enough money to be able to afford to eat all their meals out.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
We are friendly with a middle aged couple (youngest in a grad program) and we get together about twice a year. One time they come to our home and I cook, usually a themed meal. The other time, they take us out to eat at a fine dining restaurant. The one exception was this past summer when they cooked a meal from Omaha steaks. Filets mignon and twice baked potatoes, both from Omaha.

Frankly, we see it all the time and, while we foodies can lament it, it's just a different lifestyle. This has been a gradual shift going on for centuries. Part of the reason is economic. There are more two income couples now than ever. After both partners work all day in the workplace, I can see not wanting to cook. Especially if your parents never had the time/took the time to teach you how to cook.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One of my beloved cousins has a beautiful kitchen appointed with very expensive high-end appliances. She couldn't figure out how to turn on the oven when we were there over Thanksgiving. Her mother, my aunt, was also a notoriously bad cook, as a matter of fact, I can't remember her ever cooking anything. Needless to say, none of the cousins on that side ever had a weight problem. Now they're all gluten-free.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Even my mom has shifted to shortcuts, because she's been so busy. Now that she is completely retired and building a house, and will have a brand new kitchen, I hope that she'll get back to cooking once in a while. I cleaned up and tuned up her Kitchenaid while she was here, so hopefully she'll use it!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I am the last "from scratch" cook in our family, and I am not even that good at it. The younger generation goes more with prepared dishes from the supermarket or deli. My youngest sister-in-law cooks from scratch too, as she learned from her mother. After Christmas I am turning the holidays over to them, at their suggestion. I will try to enjoy myself and not be critical, and I will always show up early to help if needed.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #17
Master Chef

For much of my life I was a stay at home mom and going out to dinner was a rare treat. Life is so different these days with two people sometimes making buckets of money, I would have met my husband after work for dinner too. Children change everything and parents should be able to put a decent meal on the table for the family, but that's just me.
We are both retired, and I'd much rather have a good meal at home, than to change from my slippers and go somewhere for food I can make better.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
Master Chef

I guess it's a good thing that they put Julia Child's kitchen in the Smithsonian.

I enjoy cooking, when I decide to do it. I never liked being "typecast" by co-workers and friends, if they pestered me too much about making something I would sign up to bring paper plates and napkins.

Some people will always cook and some people will always swing into the local McDonald's.

I sometimes wonder if my life would have been better if I had grown up viewing food as fuel, eating to live instead of living to eat!

Too late now!
Old 12-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
now we get pallets of pre-made pies, cookies, and candies. The baking supplies are still there but more scaled back in overall volume.
I love when people say they made Homemade Cookies, and all they did was open the pillsbury cookie premade package, and slice that cookie dough and put it on the baking sheet.
Im not knocking it, cause they taste great, and put in some effort, but I just ant consider that truly homemade.

My sister - in - law brags about her " Home made Baked ziti". You guessed it, boil the pasta, dump a jar of Prego in, then grate some cheese on top. Once again, not knocking her efforts, but my idea of homemade differs just a bit. I dont think she really realizes what I go through when I make something , compared to her preparing something which is pretty much premade.

But , who cares, its the thought that counts
Old 12-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I love when people say they made Homemade Cookies, and all they did was open the pillsbury cookie premade package, and slice that cookie dough and put it on the baking sheet.
Im not knocking it, cause they taste great, and put in some effort, but I just ant consider that truly homemade.

My sister - in - law brags about her " Home made Baked ziti". You guessed it, boil the pasta, dump a jar of Prego in, then grate some cheese on top. Once again, not knocking her efforts, but my idea of homemade differs just a bit. I dont think she really realizes what I go through when I make something , compared to her preparing something which is pretty much premade.

But , who cares, its the thought that counts
My Mom was always famous for her homemade bread. When she got to be ancient she started to send loaves of "fresh baked" bread to the church bake sales, she made it using frozen bread dough, everyone scrambled to get it and it gave her a big chuckle!

Tags
cook, cooking