Is cooking a new trend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Food Network isn't about food anymore. It's about food based reality competitions.

I haven't watched FN for the past few years. Give me back David Rosengarten. He had the mare basic equipment and no walls. But he was all about the food. And only the food. :angel:

I am known as a good cook by many of our friends. They rarely turn down an invitation to my home, and only if they have a precious commitment. That said, I don't flaunt my food, I just cook whatever I think my friends and family will enjoy. We do have a "new" couple who have joined our group. The wife is very competitive and turns pot lucks into contests. Puts some people on edge and makes them feel as though their dishes ar somewhat inferior. Kinda spoils the party.

I am known as a good cook by many of our friends. They rarely turn down an invitation to my home, and only if they have a precious commitment. That said, I don't flaunt my food, I just cook whatever I think my friends and family will enjoy. We do have a "new" couple who have joined our group. The wife is very competitive and turns pot lucks into contests. Puts some people on edge and makes them feel as though their dishes ar somewhat inferior. Kinda spoils the party.

Oh no... :( thats the worst thing. It's not about a competition. Its about sharing and having a good time.

What is Amazon Fresh? :angel:

Great question, Addie! :cool:
Amazon is an online shopping website. They usually sell books and other stuff online. But now they are doing grocery online too. Apparently they deliver take out foods now too. That's something new.
I wish I lived in US, won't have to step a foot out. Especially on freezing days like today.... :whistling

Here is their website, if you want to check it out, Addie.
https://fresh.amazon.com/welcome

Great question, Addie! :cool:
Amazon is an online shopping website. They usually sell books and other stuff online. But now they are doing grocery online too. Apparently they deliver take out foods now too. That's something new.
I wish I lived in US, won't have to step a foot out. Especially on freezing days like today.... :whistling

Here is their website, if you want to check it out, Addie.
https://fresh.amazon.com/welcome

Well, that is the first I have heard of it. Considering I have three large supermarkets right close to me, I doubt I will be using it. And we have Pea Pod here run by Stop and Shop. :angel:

What's Pea Pod, Addie?

It is much like the Amazon Fresh. You can order your groceries on line, over the phone or mail in your order. There is about a four page list of the most popular items that are sold in the store. You just place a check mark or X in the box beside the item. You can also order fresh meats. It is used mostly by working people. The fee is quite high IMO. :angel:

We do have a "new" couple who have joined our group. The wife is very competitive and turns pot lucks into contests. Puts some people on edge and makes them feel as though their dishes ar somewhat inferior. Kinda spoils the party.

That could be annoying.
I have one friend at work. I wouldn't say we are in competition with each other, but we are both always looking for new things to eat and different ways to present them. When one of us finds something, we try it then share our success ( or failures ) with each other. If successful, we give the recipe along with any advice that we encountered along the way. So its more of a healthy, collaborative cooking relationship we have, in which we both benefit. We even lend each other certain pots, pans, gadgets, rare ingredients ... if the recipe calls for it.

That's a really bad idea. It not only spoils the party, but may cause others to quit bringing anything, or even to leave the group, if they have real issues with feeling "inferior". While I will try to do my best when cooking for a get together, I don't go out of my way to make it look like it was done by Sandra Lee, with accompanying tablescape.

I'm also a fan of simplicity. My last contribution to such a gathering was on Thanksgiving, and I brought sweet potatoes with onions, tossed in olive oil, amaretto and thyme, roasted in a 9x13 pan and topped with sliced almonds. Simple, appropriate, and really tasty.

If someone wants to enter a contest, there are usually chili cookoffs all over the US at just about any time of year. Our local volunteer fire department is having one this Sunday. ;)

I've decided to invite some friends over during the holidays. Because I am "entertaining" challenged, I am doing what I grew up with--a smorgasbord. I called one friend (Austrian) and asked if he and his better half would be available to join us. I mentioned it was a smorgasbord and was he familiar with that? Yes, he said he was. Somewhere in the conversation I mentioned that the first round around the table would probably start around 4 and round 5 would finish sometime around 8/9 (this he would know to lock up his sheep before coming). That was when he said, no I'm not familiar with that kind of smorgasbord. So I explained how the dishes are presented and what typically is presented together. He's in and will be wearing track pants (drawstring waist)! I have some vegetarians coming, so have to add more meatless/seafoodless sides and mains.

My Christmas entertaining is usually buffet style. I always have ham, with the fixings for sandwiches, and potato salad, but any further than that it's whatever finger food I happen to make. Never planned and never the same from year to year. People come when they want, eat what and when they want, and leave when they want, always with a package of leftovers. Some bring a dish, some don't. It's very casual. I prefer this to having a sit-down meal like Thanksgiving.

My Christmas entertaining is usually buffet style. I always have ham, with the fixings for sandwiches, and potato salad, but any further than that it's whatever finger food I happen to make. Never planned and never the same from year to year. People come when they want, eat what and when they want, and leave when they want, always with a package of leftovers. Some bring a dish, some don't. It's very casual. I prefer this to having a sit-down meal like Thanksgiving.

Carol, I do the same thing. :) Buffet style for Christmas day works for my small family. Some of them have other places to go, with family coming in from out of town, or out of state. I love the dropping in, and it often extends to a few days after Christmas day. :ermm::LOL:

I have to go to my daughter's. Later after we eat, all the grandkids pile in to do their dutiful visit to that old lady that says she is my grandmother. I feel like I am hold court. Should I wear the tiara I got for my 75th birthday? :angel:

Back
Top Bottom